Weddings mean give gifts, not opinions

One thing I’ve found out about growing up: you end up going to many more weddings than you did as a kid.

Weddings are great time to catch up, celebrate with the people you care about and get a free meal and a drink or two if you’re 21.

That being said, I’d like to express how much I hate when people complain about someone else’s wedding. Whether it’s because they don’t like where the ceremony/reception is, a bridesmaid doesn’t like a dress or whatever else people get upset about, it seems universal that complaints happen.

What I’m about to say is going to be a bit harsh, but it needs to be said. If you find yourself going to a wedding and you don’t like the direction the bride and groom are going with, get over it! It’s not your wedding.

When you have a wedding of your own, then you can do whatever you want with it. Once you already have your wedding then your ship has sailed. Don’t complain about how other people do theirs.

I only know this from an outside perspective of being a bridesmaid a couple of times, but the people who end up doing most of the work for a wedding are the bride and groom. They’re usually working on it at least a year ahead of time trying to book a venue, find dresses and suits, pick bridesmaids and groomsmen, choose a cake, find a caterer, make a guest list, send out invitations, plan the wedding shower, plan a bachelor/ette party, make a seating chart and about a thousand other things.

As a guest, you show up, take pictures, bring a gift, eat their food, mingle and drink. You have nothing to complain about. You don’t have to put in an eighth of the grunt work that the bride and groom have to – they’re the only ones who are allowed to complain.

I’m not going to lie; I’ve been to a couple of weddings and haven’t liked 100 percent of everything about them, but it’s not my place to say anything. When I have my wedding, then it’ll be my turn to give my input. Until then, I’m keeping my mouth shut.

As an invited guest, you’re probably someone whom the bride or groom cares about. As per the list above, they’re probably already stressed out about everything they have to do, and it’s our job to make this day less stressful for them, show up, say “Congratulations” and give them their Sharper Image toaster.

That’s it – that’s the best way you can contribute to the people getting married.

Weddings are supposed to be fun and they will be if you remember what they’re about – coming together to celebrate the happiness of someone you care about.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI