Students Behind Our Troops looks to give back

On Sept. 11, the student organization Students Behind Our Troops (SBOT), held a candlelight vigil in memory of that fateful day 13 years ago.

This was the second year that SBOT, which began in 2012, has held this event located on Friendship Green.

The students involved in this group understand the importance of remembering that day and paying respect to all those affected by it.

“Even though this event isn’t directly related to the troops, we feel it’s necessary to recognize the date as this organization because of the significance,” said Alexa Snyder, the president of the organization. “After Sept. 11, 2001, we shipped out to war and the amount of men and women enlisting in the military skyrocketed.”

Events like the candlelight vigil are just one way the organization tries to give back to the men and women in the military who serve this country.

Students Behind Our Troops’ goal is to take advantage of every available chance to thank the troops.

“We recognize these sacrifices and hardships men and women go through to fight for the rights and freedom of people who can’t or won’t,” Snyder said. “Our goal is to make sure that every single military member, past or present, knows that they ARE appreciated. They ARE remembered.”

Many of the group members have firsthand experience with the sacrifices of military members. They have friends or family members who have served or are currently serving.

This issue is very close to home for them, as well as many students on campus.

That is why displaying their appreciation for former and present servicemen and women is so important to SBOT.

With appreciation in mind this year, the group’s main project is to make and send out care packages to service members.

This endeavor will require large amounts of work in finding addresses to send the packages to, as well as fundraising to pay to put together and ship the packages.

Also on the agenda for the year are visits with local veterans and joint efforts with other groups on campus involving mental health awareness, especially regarding those who are coming home from war.

Students Behind Our Troops has a lot planned for this year, but the group is always looking to do more.

Anyone looking to join the group, volunteer or contribute through ideas for new projects or services can email group president Synder at [email protected].

Adam Miller