Knights defense stuns Cheyney

The Gannon University football team set a school record for margin of victory in its 48-0 rout of Cheyney University of Pennsylvania Saturday.

The Knights backfield fought through rainy conditions to feature two 100-yard tailbacks – junior Brock Jones and sophomore Tyler Johnson. Jones finished the game with 111 rushing yards and four touchdowns, and Johnson ran for 110 yards and two touchdowns.

Jones said the offensive line has played great in the Knights’ first two games.

“They make my job pretty fun when they block the way they do,” he said. “I definitely couldn’t have done it without the big boys up front.”

Junior quarterback Liam Nadler had a relatively light day of work under center. He attempted a career-low eight passes, threw for 77 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

Nadler said having a potent rushing attack helps the Knights in other facets of the game.

“Having an athlete like [Jones] in the backfield sucks the linebackers and safeties down into the box and opens up the passing game,” Nadler said.

Coach Brad Rzyczycki said the offense took advantage of what the defense gave them, and adapted to the severe downpour.

He also said that the defense improved from its first matchup against Southern Connecticut State University by cleaning up assignments.

“Handling adversity is something that you can’t replicate in practice,” Rzyczycki said. “The defense’s mental toughness is where I want it to be right now.”

Freshman linebacker Nico Mendieta continued to impress while recording his second interception of the season and recorded three tackles in the win.

Mendieta said growing pains while learning from older players last season have aided his adjustment to the speed of college offenses.

“Redshirting last year and being on the scout team against our offense really helped,” Mendieta said.

The Knights return home to take on Kutztown University Saturday at noon at Gannon University Field.

CONNOR SONDEL