Blazek piles up postseason awards

Gannon University’s starting point guard is compiling notable postseason awards following a strong junior season campaign to the National Collegiate Athletic Association Division II Atlantic Regional semifinal contest.

Adam Blazek, the Erie native, was named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches’ All-American team and Division II Bulletin All-America honorable-mention team. He was also honored as the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Western Division Athlete of the Year, the All-PSAC West first team and the Daktronics and NABC All-Atlantic Region first team.

Coach John Reilly said he respects Blazek’s strong work ethic and his relentless motor.

“He deserves everything he gets,” Reilly said. “He’s a team first guy.”

Blazek echoed his coach’s thoughts when he credited his work ethic for allowing him to receive these individual awards. The 6-foot-1 guard noted that despite his physical limitations, he never stops trying to be the best he can be.

“I’m not blessed with great athleticism or height or a great body, but I try to outwork all of my opponents so I can be successful,” Blazek said.

Blazek’s extensive basketball resume includes being named the PSAC Western freshman of the year in 2012, and illustrated that the junior’s work ethic has helped him to get to this point in his career.

Senior guard/forward C.J. Oldham said the accolades are due to the intensity Blazek plays with and his determination to win.

“Whether it’s on the offensive or defensive side he refuses to take plays off and always does what he can to help the team,” Oldham said. “He’s a guy everyone loves to play with, but hates to play against.”

The Cathedral Prep product averaged 15.6 points, tallied 92 assists, 62 steals and led the PSAC in time logged per game with more than 38 minutes per contest. Blazek said that he is in a great situation at Gannon and that he is doing everything that he can to be the best for his team.

“I feel blessed,” Blazek said. “Putting in all the hard work these past few years was to improve the program and win games with my teammates, and getting individual awards is a bonus.

“I could never have gotten any of these awards without my coaching staff believing in me from the start and working with me on player improvement,” he said. “And without great teammates as well I could have never done this.”

The Gannon junior was quick to deflect the credit to the people who surround him.

Oldham said that he expects nothing but the best for Blazek’s future.

“Adam has already brought this program back to a winning tradition and made a name for himself as well,” Oldham said. “He is a player that is constantly improving and will only get better with time.”

CONNOR SONDEL