Rowling’s announcement breaks many fans’ hearts

J.K. Rowling dropped a bomb this week on fans of her epic series, “Harry Potter.” In an interview where Emma Watson, who played Hermione Granger in the movies, actually talked to Rowling herself, the author revealed that she doesn’t believe she should have put Ron and Hermione together in the end. The hearts of Potter fans broke all over the world.

Rowling revealed this jaw-dropper and added that they, too, would have needed relationship counseling. According to The Daily Mail UK website, Watson didn’t seem surprised by this as fans may have suspected. Rowling said, “I know, I’m sorry. I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I’m absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people’s hearts by saying this? I hope not.”

If you’ve read a previous column of mine, you’d know that I’m a total Potter fan and this news was pretty shocking to me. Not only is it weird, I totally and completely disagree with this.

Personally, I always saw Harry and Hermione as having a brother-sister relationship. I was always rooting for Ron. There would be too much competition between Harry and Hermione.

But Ron was just what Hermione needs. They balance each other out; she helped him be more serious and he helped her loosen up. And even though Rowling said she doesn’t know if Ron would have been able to hold Hermione’s attention, I feel that would be true if she ended up with Harry.

When I was reading online what other fans thought, many said that it was too cliché for Harry, the hero, to get the main girl. I think that is a great point. Throughout the whole series, Ron to an extent was the underdog; at least in regards to the trio and their abilities. Hermione has been the brains and Harry has been the courage. But, to me, Ron has always been the heart. He not only welcomed Harry into his family, but Hermione as well.

And while I do believe the Harry and Ginny relationship wasn’t nearly as enduring in the movies, if you read the books, there was a lot more chemistry between the pair. I also believe that Harry and Ginny made a far better couple. A relationship with Harry and Hermione would have been too serious and boring, but I think Ginny brings excitement that Harry needs.

Treating Harry Potter and the characters like they’re real people might seem weird but to  fans, they are. These are characters that our generation has grown up with and I think we’re all passionate about the series to a certain extent.

When Rowling announced shortly after the end of the series that Dumbledore was gay, fans were shocked but most agreed with her. However, I think, from comments I’ve read online, most disagree.

And though it is Rowling’s work and she obviously knows the truth, I wish she had kept this detail to herself.

SAMMIE JANIK