‘Awkward’ movie brings laughs

“That Awkward Moment,” will leave some audience members wondering which moment the title is talking about.

This awkward movie, released last weekend, sits at No. 3 at the box office, grossing at almost $9 million.

Although the basic plotline of this movie has been told over and over again, this movie has some new twists that will make the audience laugh out loud.

“That Awkward Moment” tells the story of three guys who are struggling with their love lives.

Jason, Daniel and Mikey make up the movie’s main trio. Within the first 10 minutes of the movie, they decide that they’re all going to stay single together, which of course goes horribly wrong.

Jason – played by Zac Efron – plays a classic womanizer for the majority of the movie. Then he begins to feel conflicted after he meets this girl whom he finds funny, smart and pretty.

Daniel – played by Miles Teller – has a routine of going out to the bar with his wingman, Chelsea – played by Mackenzie Davis.

This routine is foiled after Daniel and Chelsea hook up and start developing feelings for each other.

Mikey – played by Michael B. Jordan – runs into his biggest conflict at the beginning of the movie when he discovers that his wife has been cheating on him.

Despite this, he continues to hook up with her for a while after she files for divorce.

As the title suggests, this movie is filled with several occurrences of awkward moments, which contribute to its overall humorous nature.

Audiences will recognize Efron from movies such as “High School Musical,” “17 Again” and “Charlie St. Cloud.”

It’s a bit strange to see him making some of the more vulgar jokes in “That Awkward Moment,” but since the actor lost his flippy hair and baby face, it gets less weird as the movie goes on.

Plus, considering one of his previous co-star’s involvement in the movie “Spring Breakers,” Efron’s role in this movie is pretty tame.

Miles Teller, who has starred in “Rabbit Hole” and “Footloose,” may be unfamiliar to many audience members, but that doesn’t deter his performance.

Daniel is the more awkwardly blunt of the main trio, but his delivery of the jokes is timed well, which helps make them funny.

Michael B. Jordan, not to be confused with the basketball player, has previously been in “Chronicle” and several TV shows.

Other notable characters include, Ellie, the unconventional love interest of Jason; and Fred, Jason and Daniel’s boss who begins conversations in person by introducing himself, similarly to a phone call.

Although the story line is basically the same as most romantic comedies these days, the awkward humor of the movie sets it apart from almost any other movie out there.

When used in a movie, awkward humor has the tendency to be incredibly uncomfortable; however, the jokes are set up well, so that instead of being uneasy, they come off as hilarious.

Aside from the overused plot structure, “That Awkward Moment,” has some unique features, including the casting and the dialogue, and is definitely worth going to watch for audiences who like vulgar humor.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI