Color Guard to present at Pittsburgh Pens game

Smoothly gliding across a long green lane set by the 50-yard line at a Gannon University football game. Heals digging into the ground, in sync, shoulder to shoulder, bearing some of the greatest traditions of this nation on their shoulders and grasped within their hands.

The Pride of PA, Gannon University, Army ROTC Color Guard team is made up of dedicated and notable cadets who have committed their time and efforts to establishing themselves as a solid group of young leaders, “working very hard as a group to instill great excellence,” according to sophomore MSII  Cadet Anthony Sinagoga.

There are many traditions that the United States Army holds within its values that have been built upon their hundreds of years of service. One is held high among the others: color guard.

Color Guard was first established as a “guard of the colors” or as a group of soldiers who were given orders to protect the colors and/or flags of their regiment during battle.

As a guard of the regimental colors, the soldier with the duty would carry the colors into battle leading the assault forward until reaching a limit of advance.

Though the colors are not flown in combat today, they still stand as an important value to every branch of service in the United States military. As for present day, military color guards can be seen leading parades, at the opening of ceremonies and presenting the colors at sporting events.

At Gannon, the Army ROTC Color Guard team has acquired skills to honorably present the colors of the United States to fans attending Gannon football games, Erie Otter and SeaWolves games, Erie parades and Gannon events.

“It has been a blast being engaged within the color guard program,” sophomore MSII Cadet Kayla Irwin said. “The Erie Otters and SeaWolves have been very gracious for our presence at their games. Their games have given us more experience in front of bigger crowds.”

But one simple phone call south to Pittsburgh opened up an opportunity of a lifetime for the GU Army ROTC Color Guard team.

On Jan. 27, the Color Guard team will be making its way south to present the colors at the Pittsburgh Penguins hockey game. The cadets presenting will include Anthony Sinagoga, Reyna Palanca, Nicholas Sobina and Krystina George, color guard captain.

Not only did the Pittsburgh Penguins offer the team an opportunity, the Steelers also gave a color guard slot to the Gannon team for next season.

After winning the General McArthur Award last year, the Pride of PA Battalion has risen to every challenge and has taken strides toward bigger opportunities.

“I think doing the color guard for the Penguins and Steelers game would be amazing and would show that Gannon has a great ROTC program,” Palanca said.

As the Pride of PA, Gannon University, Army ROTC Color Guard team takes on larger opportunities, keep an eye out for their strong, military presence at upcoming Gannon and Erie events.

KRYSTINA GEORGE