Knights split weekend series with Clarion and IUP

The Gannon University women’s volleyball team fell short against Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Western Division-leading Clarion Golden Eagles in four sets at  Tippin Gymnasium on Friday.

The Knights fought through four sets, 25-23 Clarion, 25-23 Gannon, 25-22 Clarion and 25-19 Clarion.

While the team may not have won the match, there were still a number of standout players.

Freshman Hannah Kren recorded another double-double with 11 kills and 15 digs. Freshman Jordyn Theiry also recorded a double-double with 11 kills, 10 digs and two block assists.

Sophomores Lynne Hibbard and Kayla Knickerbocker both recorded seven kills.

Hibbard also recorded three block assists and three digs. Junior Taryn Graham recorded a team-high with 25 digs.

Junior Megan Wendel compiled 39 assists, six kills and 16 digs. Junior Emily Carver recorded eight kills and one solo block. Including this loss against Clarion, the Golden Knights fell to 11-8 in PSAC action.

Gannon was able to turn things around on Saturday, however, while facing off against Indiana University of Pennsylvania, taking the match in four sets.

“I think we played very well, especially in the last three sets, when our serving was much stronger and helped us score points at key moments,” Gannon coach Darling said.

The Knights claimed the victory with set scores of 26-24 IUP, 25-21 Gannon, 25-21 Gannon and 25-18 Gannon.

Kren once again recorded a double-double with 11 kills and 12 digs. Wendel also snagged a double-double with 34 assists and 14 digs.

Maggie Desrosiers put down nine kills and 11 digs while Hibbard had eight kills. Graham led the defensive unit with 24 digs and 15 serves without error.

Theiry recorded 12 kills. With another victory under their belt, the Knights moved up to 12-8 in PSAC action.

The Knights are scheduled to face off against Seton Hill at 7 p.m. in the Hammermill Center Friday, and wrap up their season against California University of Pennsylvania at home 7 p.m. Saturday.

Gannon only needs to win one of their remaining two matches to take the final spot in the PSAC Western Division playoff race. The Knights currently have a two-game lead over rival Mercyhurst University, which also means any Lakers loss will propel the team to its fifth consecutive playoff appearance.

KRISTEN MARINI