AlumKnights: Giving back

Last year I was asked to serve on Gannon’s alumni board and I gladly agreed. I attended Gannon from 1957 to 1961 and with the education and guidance I received, I have had a successful career and fulfilling life.

As I travel from my home in Rochester, N.Y., to the board meetings on Gannon’s campus, I get excited to be back.

I graduated 52 years ago and Gannon has grown significantly since then, but so much still feels the same to me – the same spirit, the same personal attention, the same commitment from faculty, the same commitment to the Erie community and the same excellent education.

I am proud to be a Gannon graduate and honored to serve on the National Alumni Board. One of my roles is to chair our board’s annual fundraising campaign, and I am happy to report that our board is closing in on 100 percent participation of contributing to the Gannon University Annual Fund for Academic Excellence.

While the National Alumni Board is not primarily a fundraising board, it is one of our goals to encourage greater alumni giving.

When an alumnus gives back to Gannon in any amount, it shows alumni support and confidence in the university.

In fact, alumni giving percentage is one of the key criteria used to determine Gannon’s national rankings, such as in the US News & World Report.

The funds Gannon receives throughout the year from alumni, parents and friends are used to help your Gannon experience be the best it can be. From scholarship support and financial aid to technology upgrades in the classroom, donated gifts are put to use helping where they are most needed.

When the time comes and you are like me, a proud GU alum, I encourage you to give back to the school that has meant so much in your life. I support Gannon University and I’m so glad that I do, ensuring that our students are having a wonderful experience.

Upon graduation, please join me in giving back so that we can carry on and support all future Gannon students.

Always remember this quote by Arthur C. Frantzreb: “Philanthropy is a ministry.”

JIM AHEARN