Nominees up for People’s Choice Awards

The nominees are officially in for the 40th People’s Choice Awards 2014 and while the award show does not air until Jan. 8 on CBS, fans have from now until then to vote for their favorite nominees.

Beth Behrs and Kat Dennings from “2 Broke Girls” will host the show.

Three main areas will be covered at the show: movies, TV and music, with various categories within each of them.

More than 50 awards will be given out on Jan. 8, and while I cannot discuss my predictions for every single category, I will cover the ones I feel strongly about or am almost positive will win.

For Favorite Movie, I think it’s going to be between “Despicable Me 2” and “Iron Man 3.” Both were extremely well-received by audiences and critics.

While I personally hope that the minions take home the win, “Iron Man 3” may have enough steam to steal it.

This will be, in my opinion, a pretty close race.

I believe that Ellen DeGeneres will once again scoop up the award for Favorite Daytime TV Host. If she wins, it will be her eighth award in this category. To be honest, I really don’t see any competition and I think she will continue her reign as Favorite Host.

“Modern Family” will most likely pick up the award for Favorite Network TV Comedy. “The Big Bang Theory” will definitely give it a run for its money but I still think “Modern Family” will win by a hair. It’s popular with the critics and has extremely high ratings.

However, while I think it will win best comedy, Jim Parsons, who plays Sheldon from “The Big Bang Theory,” will take home the award for Favorite Comedic TV Actor.

Jesse Tyler Ferguson from “Modern Family” may be a close contender and as much as I would love to see Neil Patrick Harris win for the role of Barney on “How I Met Your Mother,” I don’t think he is as widely loved as Sheldon. And if you’ve ever watched “The Big Bang Theory,” Parsons is magnetic and one of the funniest people on TV, hence his nomination and hopefully his win as well.

While I’m hoping that Lorde wins for Favorite Breakout Artist, I feel like most people are only familiar with her song “Royals,” unless they listened to her entire album.

Whereas Imagine Dragons had three popular songs, “Radioactive,” “It’s Time” and “Demons” – which is why I’m predicting the band will take home the award.

One of the reasons the People’s Choice Awards show is a favorite among viewers is because it allows the fans to decide the winners.

Unlike most award shows that only take into consideration the nominee’s performance, the person’s personality in the People’s Choice Awards has a lot to do with whether or not they receive votes.

For example, Kanye West is nominated for Favorite Hip-Hop Artist and while his album may be very well executed, I can guarantee that he will not win because the majority of America strongly dislikes his attitude.

Most are under the impression that he is arrogant and pompous.

And for that sole reason, I believe he will get the least number of votes.

I am excited to see the results on Jan. 8, and I believe the show will be very entertaining.

You can now cast your votes for your favorites at peopleschoice.com.

Happy voting!

SAMMIE JANIK