Fantasy Football: To start or to sit?

Last week was odd.  A quarterback tied the all-time record for TDs in a single game – Nick Foles.  An aging receiver had his best game in years with a rookie QB playing “schoolyard” football – Andre Johnson.  The highest-scoring rusher was a relative unknown – Zac Stacy.  The Dolphins’ 23rd-ranked defense simply shut down Andy Dalton, who threw for five TDs the week before.  John Fox, coach of the Broncos, had an unexpected heart surgery and Gary Kubiak, coach of the Texans, randomly collapsed going into the tunnel at halftime.

This week I’ll try and navigate you through this crazy league and get you in the fantasy win column.

Like before, “Starts” mean I like a player more than his usual output. The opposite can be said for “Sits.”

Obvious starts this week include Drew Brees vs. Dallas and Peyton Manning vs. San Diego; I want to go a little deeper in the quarterback pile.

I hate to put a QB as a start just because he’s facing my team, the Vikings, but I have to once again.  Robert Griffin III should get his numbers this week after having a couple of subpar games.  He didn’t score any touchdowns last week; however, he completed 71.9 percent of his passes – a season high.

Just label me as Case Keenum’s biggest fan.  Throwing for three TDs without any interceptions or fumbles in a heartbreaking loss, Keenum made everyone forget about Matt Schaub.  I thought Al Michaels put it best in his broadcast when he said, “The kid isn’t worried about getting the first down on a third and 2, he’s looking for the home run.”  He’s got guts, and it’ll show again this Sunday.

Reggie Bush has experienced a renaissance, and he will continue it against the 27th-ranked Bears defense.  If he gets held in check in the run game, the speedy back will get his looks out of the backfield as a receiver; matchup-proof, that’s what I look for in a player.

Look what the cat dragged in…C.J. Spiller is back!  I think, maybe, who knows honestly, but he had the kind of runs against the Chiefs that made him such a high draft pick this year.  With the quarterback situation in question for the Bills against a suspect Pittsburgh defense, Spiller will get a heavy workload even with Fred Jackson behind him.

I’m starting any Denver WR for fantasy this week.  Coming off a bye, Peyton Manning will be healthy and ready to keep doing what he does best:  throw touchdowns.  And then throw some more touchdowns.

T.Y. Hilton is all the Indianapolis Colts have; and for that reason, he’s going to be heavily targeted by Andrew Luck.  Coming off of a three-TD game, I’d expect at least one more this weekend.

Don’t worry about Julius Thomas’ ankle injury; it’s not of the high-ankle variety, and he’s got Peyton throwing him the ball.  You have to start him.

The Titans defense is taking on the high-flying Jacksonville offense.  Yes, I’m being sarcastic about Jacksonville and yes, I’m starting the Titans D.

Some desperation starts are  Terrelle Pryor, Rashad Jennings, Keenan Allen and Garret Graham.

I don’t see Matt Ryan getting out of his slump this week.  No Julio Jones and who knows whether Roddy White will play or be 100 percent healthy.  Oh, and the Falcons take on the No. 1 Seahawks pass defense.

“Why don’t you take a seat over there, Andy Dalton?” Chris Hansen said.

I just don’t think that the Cowboys have much faith in Demarco Murray anymore, so I’d sit him this week if you can find something better.  He had a grand total of four carries last week.  Four! I’m going to pair Darren McFadden and Rashard Mendenhall together for some pretty simple reasoning.  They both are veteran running backs who show promise only to get injured.  You know the routine:  “tweak” something then disappear for weeks.

Vincent Jackson was a “sit” last week and the same goes this time around.  Facing a top-three Miami defense and still having a spotty rookie QB throw him the ball, V-Jax should be on the bench.

Vernon Davis fades in and out like a TV with a broken antenna.  I bet he’ll fade away with the Carolina Panthers coming to town in this matchup.

The Cowboys defense will be having nightmares about Drew Brees Saturday night, especially if Marques Colston comes back from injury.  On top of that, the Cowboys allowed Christian Ponder to look capable last weekend; that’s saying a lot.

Have any fantasy football questions or looking for daily updates?

Tweet and search using the hash tag #GUfantasyfootball.

ANTHONY WATSON