Fantasy Football: To start or to sit?

The sweet taste of victory. I have to make it known that I took down my dad in the father-son fantasy matchup this week – he’ll hear about it until January – and while I continue my reign as top dog in the league.

Sit back and read the tips below, and hopefully I’m going to get you that same feeling of fantasy accomplishment this weekend.

Tony Romo is my start of the week; facing an incompetent Vikings secondary, receiver Dez Bryant will have a field day. Against a team that’s giving up 30-plus points per game like it’s nothing, Romo is my top-ranked quarterback for Week 9.

I put Cam Newton in this section last week, and I’m doing likewise this time around.  He’s matchup-proof now because even if he faces a tough passing defense, his legs will put up points; the thing is, he’s facing a bad Falcons D.

I’m feeling a Ray Rice comeback game this week.  Coming off a bye week, Rice has declared himself to be “fully healthy” after being held back by a hip flexor issue.

The Ravens will want to stay away from Joe Haden and Co.; the easiest way to do that is to run through a relatively soft Browns run defense.

All of you Steelers fans will be happy to see Le’Veon Bell in the start section.  The Patriots are giving up 131 yards per week to RBs and, to be honest, Tom Brady looks mediocre at best.  This will keep the score close and the running game in play.

Another local favorite, Josh Gordon, should have a good game this week.  He had a tough matchup last week, but showed some chemistry with backup QB Jason Campbell. This advice is contingent on whether Gordon is still in Cleveland after Tuesday – the NFL’s trade deadline.

If Percy Harvin plays in his first game, I’m starting him.  Facing a mediocre defense and being used in a multitude of ways, Harvin will get his points.  The Seahawks passing offense needs a spark; Percy is that spark.

Jason Witten will most likely bounce back this week.  Miles Austin is still ailing, and therefore Witten is the No. 2 receiving option for Tony Romo.

While I’m a big Geno Smith fan, I expect the Saints Defense to put up some stats against the turnover-prone quarterback.  What’s that you say?  A rookie quarterback vs. Drew Brees, one of the best in the business, putting the Jets in a deep hole?  A touchdown would not be out of the question, either.

With no healthy receivers or legitimate rushing attack, Matt Ryan was less than average against a less-than-average Arizona D – I’m worried what will happen against the top-ranked Carolina defense.

There is a picture circulating of Tom Brady’s hand, which looks doubled in size; he asserts he’s fine, but his production would prove otherwise. Avoid him if you can.

Fred Jackson may be playing well for a 32-year-old running back, but against a top five Kansas City defense and the return of his speedy counterpart C.J. Spiller, I think he’ll have an off day.

“911, what’s your emergency?”  “I’m calling in a missing person…their name?  Trent Richardson; we haven’t seen him in weeks.” Desean Jackson, poor guy.  Michael Vick’s hamstring popped again and there’s a good chance third stringer Matt Barkley will start.  Ouch.  With four interceptions and four fumbles in two weeks, I expect more turnovers than touchdowns for the Eagles.

Unfortunately for Alshon Jeffrey, you just can’t expect Josh McCown (a lifetime backup QB) to have enough fantasy production to sustain two receivers.  Leave him on the bench.

Torrey Smith is in the running for my sit of the week.  He’s been lacking in the numbers department and will most likely be put on lockdown by Joe Haden.

You have to feel for Tony Gonzalez, who has come back for one more year to be a part of a Super Bowl team – that isn’t going to happen, and neither will good production for the veteran tight end.  No ride off into the sunset for Tony.

Thinking about starting the Bears Defense?  They’re facing Aaron Rodgers.  Yeah, I figured you’d change your mind.

Have any fantasy football questions or looking for daily updates? Tweet and search using the hash tag #GUfantasyfootball.

ANTHONY WATSON