Brueckner’s 3 goals key comeback

Mani Brueckner exploded for three second-half goals Tuesday, helping the Gannon University women’s soccer team to break a 1-1 halftime tie and beat Seton Hill University 4-2 in a Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference match played in Greensburg.

The win boosted the Knights’ record to 7-3 going into Saturday’s 5 p.m. game at home against the University of Pitt-Johnstown.

Gannon, which jumped six spots to No. 19 in the latest National Soccer Coaches Association of America Top 25 poll, fell behind 1-0 when Seton Hill’s Kara Lopoyda scored in the game’s 20th minute.

The Knights, who also moved up to No. 2 in the Atlantic Regional rankings, finally pulled even when Brueckner set up a goal by Annie Walbridge with less than three minutes to play in the first half.

Brueckner scored her first goal of the game three minutes into the second half on a breakaway, with Rachel Evans getting the assist, to put Gannon on top 2-1.

Seton Hill needed a little more than a minute to tie the score at 2-2 on a goal by Madison Gourley.

The two teams battled for nearly 23 minutes without a score before Brueckner finally broke through and netted another breakaway goal, this time on an assist from Anna Colaizzo. Brueckner’s second goal put Gannon on top for keeps at 3-2.

Brueckner added an insurance goal in the game’s 85th minute, converting a free kick, to make the final score 4-2 in favor of the Knights.

Gannon dominated play on the offensive end, launching 27 shots to just seven for Seton Hill. The Knights put 18 of those shots on goal to just five for Seton Hill.

Knights goalkeeper Sarah Geffel registered two saves in the victory.

California University of Pennsylvania is the top-ranked team in the NSCAA Atlantic regional for the second straight week. The Vulcans beat Gannon Saturday 3-0.