What song ‘AM’ I hearing?

Arctic Monkeys are back with their fifth studio album “AM,” and it definitely feels like the original sound the first album had, but with more intense lyrics.

Those who felt their previous album, “Suck It and See,” was a bit of a departure from the normal feel of Arctic Monkeys won’t get that same feeling listening to “AM.”

The Arctic Monkeys brought back the rock ‘n’ roll, London nightclub sound, which earned them their fame in this 12-track album.

The album, released Sept. 9, opens up with “Do I Wanna Know?” and while the melody is rather slow, there is no shortage of a strong rhythm from the guitar. The lyrics explain the singer’s infatuation with a girl, which in turn makes the song somewhat sensual.

Desperately knowing if his crush shares the same feelings for him, he questions, “So have you got the guts?/ Been wondering if your hearts still open/And if so, I wanna know what time it shuts.”

It is a definite strong opening.

The album continues to “R U Mine?” which was the first single released from the album and begs the question the whole album in a way echoes: “Are you mine tomorrow?/ Or just mine tonight?”

The next several tracks, “One for the Road,” “Arabella” and “I Want It All,” are all worth listening to; however, all seem to blend into one song. When listening to the entire album, right around these songs, the music really just fills the silence and one song blends right into the next.

By the time the album hits track six, “No. 1 Party Anthem,” just from the title alone, you would assume this to be a high-velocity, pump-up song.

It is, in fact, just the opposite, which in a way makes it an ingenious title for one of the only slow songs on the album.

While the guitar and drums are still ever present, the melody is gentle and sounds like a slow song middle-schoolers would awkwardly dance to. The song urges the singer to approach a girl he has his eyes on and concludes with: “Come on, come on, come on/ Before the moment’s gone/ Number one party anthem.”

The slow song theme continues to the seventh track, “Mad Sounds” but picks back up with “Fireside” with a solid beat and constant guitar.

It introduces some of the better lyrics with the lines: “There’s all these secrets that I can’t keep/ Like in my heart there’s that hotel suite/ And you lived there so long/ It’s kind of strange now you’re gone.”

The last four songs support the general feel of “AM.” The track “Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High?” portrays the anger the singer feels like his lover only contacts him when she is under the influence.

This theme leads nicely into the third to last track, “Snap Out Of It,” where the band begs his lover to admit that she still feels for him: “I wanna grab both your shoulders and shake baby/ Snap out of it…./ I’ll be here waiting ever so patiently for you to/ Snap out of it.”

The album wraps up with “Knee Socks” and concludes with “I Wanna Be Yours.” Both songs explore this dark idea of a lost lover and desperately wanting it back, which really is what the entire album emulates.

Overall, true fans of Arctic Monkeys will be very pleased with the outcome of “AM.” It brings back the feel that many felt was missing from their previous album. While some may prefer “Suck It and See,” purely because they like slower-paced, less electric guitar-filled songs, the lyrics and pleasant melodies that encompass the album as a whole are amazing. Therefore, all in all, “AM” receives an 8/10.

This album is recommended to any fan of Arctic Monkeys as well as people who enjoy alternative music. You won’t be disappointed.

SAMMIE JANIK