Scotland or bust

Gannon University’s globalization goals will take on a new look in 2014.

Gannon’s Schuster Theatre has been asked to participate in the 2014  International Collegiate Theatre Festival – ICTF –  which is part of the  Edinburgh Fringe Festival in Scotland.

The Schuster Theatre players are no strangers to the international  stage. In  2011, the inaugural year of ICTF, Gannon was asked to be one  of 12 colleges  joining in the celebration of the arts.

Keefer Kopco, a senior theatre/communication arts major with a minor  in  journalism, was one of the students who comprised Gannon’s group in 2011.

“ICTF was hugely impactful since I went my freshman year and it gave me an idea of the broad scope and size of the theater world,” Kopco said.

The International Collegiate Theatre Festival takes place within the larger scope of the Edinburgh Fringe Fest. The Fringe Fest is a globally celebrated festival of the arts. Thousands of artists descend upon the city to share their creations. Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of people arrive in Edinburgh to enjoy the festivities.

Interactivity is something that Kopco took away from his trip in 2011.

“There are networking opportunities but there are so many people it becomes difficult,” Kopco said. “I think overall it’s just a really great experience to be doing something in a different country.”

Jacki Kubiak, technical director of Schuster Theatre, said that ICTF is an excellent opportunity for all involved. She said that being a part of this festival helps to bring Gannon’s goal of globalization to fruition. Furthermore, it gives the Department of Theatre, Communications and Fine Arts a face many recognize.

“I hope it gives this group an excitement about theater,” Kubiak said. “I hope it opens our students’ eyes to what’s out there. Interactivity with the world is the one guarantee about this trip.”

Kubiak said the trip is going to cost money, but it’s an opportunity that happens once in a college career.

Kopco said he agrees the price is steep, but luckily a strong fundraising effort helps that.

“The trip is definitely worth all the work that Alpha Psi Omega and the students are going to put into it,” Kopco said. “It’s pretty life-changing.”

Kubiak, one of the master minds behind Schuster fundraising for the year, has some tricks up her sleeve.

“We’re going to be fundraising throughout the year with candles, wreaths, personalized Christmas greetings, candy and more,” Kubiak said. “Honestly, we just need people to come see our shows and support us.”

Gannon’s tenacious students refuse to let this opportunity go by unrelished.  A group of more than a dozen students will perform in what is noted as “The most prestigious arts festival in the world.”

CRISTEN MANION