Playhouse announces season

It may be the end of the season for Gannon University’s Schuster Theatre, but the Erie Playhouse has already started thinking about its next season, which starts this fall.

Featuring eight main stage performances, three Youtheatre performances and two special events, the season will run from September through August 2014.

Youtheatre is a specialized division of the Erie Playhouse that allows people age 18 and under to earn an educational experience with the performance in question.

Special events are classified as anything that differs from a main stage or Youtheatre performance.

The season begins in September with “Spamalot,” winner of 14 Tony Awards including Best Musical in 2005.

The Erie Playhouse website describes it as “featuring a bevy of beautiful show girls, cows, killer rabbits and French people” which means it’ll leave you wanting more (cows).

Next, in October, the Playhouse takes a decidedly darker mode with “Carrie: The Musical.” This show is a musical adaptation of the novel by Stephen King.

The first Youtheatre show, “Freckle Face Strawberry,” opens in November. This show, based on the book by Julianne Moore, shows that everyone is different, but it’s what makes you different that makes you special.

In December and early January, “Mary Poppins” flies into the playhouse as a main stage show. Based on the Disney movie, this musical will allow audiences to relive an old childhood memory.

Speaking of childhood memories, Disney’s “Aladdin Jr.” arrives at the playhouse in mid-January as part of their Youtheatre series.

Then it’s back to the main stage performances with the debut of “Once on This Island” in early February.

This musical, which received eight Tony nominations, is set in a tropical island – perfect timing for those cold Erie winters.

“Can’t repeat the past? Why of course you can!” wrote F. Scott Fitzgerald in his classic novel “The Great Gatsby,” which will be premiering on the Erie Playhouse stage on March 7.

In April, Erie audiences will delight in two special events. The first, “Bobby Borgia Light… Camera…. Magic!,”  is a live magic show by Bobby Borgia. The other special event, “Chess in Concert,” is a rock opera set during , oddly enough, a chess championship.

Rounding up the Youtheatre series, “A Little Princess” premieres in May. This show will help to remind audiences that a little imagination can go a long way.

About a year and a month from now, “Jesus Christ Superstar” will hit the stage. This rock opera tells the story of Jesus Christ as interpreted by theater superstars Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice.

Finally, the EP rounds out their season with two comedies: “Mark Twain’s Is He Dead” and “Mel Brooks’ Young Frankenstein.”

The former, which takes place in July 2014, showcases an artist as its main character – Jean-Francois Millet. The latter is well known for the 1974 film by the same name and hits the Erie stage in August 2014.

To find out more information, go to erieplayhouse.com.

MICHAEL HAAS