Vice President of Clubs: Matt Tagliaferro

Why are you running for the position of Vice President of Clubs and Organizations?

Because I want more people to become involved because I know how much it improves the college experience. I was really involved in Unity Week this year and I saw real potential on how good it could be. I also have a lot of ideas to bring to campus in terms of activities and events.

Do you have any past SGA experience?

I was a freshman class representative in SGA this year. I was part of the Clubs and Organizations Committee. I was also in the Unity Week Committee and the Gannon University Team Spirit Committee (G.U.T.S.), which really got me involved with the organization.

What are your goals if you were to be elected to the position?

I want to keep on working on advancing connections between the clubs and I want to make sure the clubs can rely on each other for their own activities as well. Also, after seeing Penn State’s Thon, I thought that we could do something, maybe not as big as Penn State’s, but something along those lines here at Gannon. I also want Unity Week to be this big event campus talked about all year and look forward to it. I want it to be a huge thing within the clubs themselves, too, and I want the clubs to be involved in the planning of Unity Week. I just saw a lot of potential that if we unite under one big philanthropy – or an organization – there could be more turnout and it could bring a lot of publicity to the school. I am also a sophomore, so I have the opportunity to keep fixing it and fine-tuning it until I’m a senior.

What have you accomplished during your time in SGA?

I was really involved with the Unity Week Committee for this year and helped with the planning of it, along with the other committees I mentioned earlier.

Why did you decide to get involved with SGA?

I was the president of our student council in high school and I didn’t think I was going to become a student leader in college, but once I got here I saw how much fun and how rewarding SGA was. So I decided to run for the freshman representative position and I didn’t even know if I was going to get it or not and I received the position and it was probably one of the best decisions that I’ve made.

Is there anything else you’d like the student body to know about you?

I would do my best to make Unity Week the best that it can be and have communications and connections with all the clubs and organizations.

HIBA ALMASRI