The Oscars brings wins, laughs and many smiles

Dozens of stars in the movie industry came together Sunday night to witness one of the biggest events in popular culture: The Oscars.

The four-hour ceremony was packed with great performances, heartfelt acceptance speeches and, of course, the presentation of the Oscars. While some movies won an award, several won a few.

“Argo,” produced by Grant Heslov, Ben Affleck and George Clooney, won the Oscar for best picture. The film also won several other awards throughout the night.

The Oscar for best actor in a lead role went to Daniel Day-Lewis for “Lincoln.” The Oscar for best actress in a lead role went to Jennifer Lawrence for her role in “Silver Linings Playbook.”

When Lawrence went up to accept her award, she tripped up the stairs and proceeded to fall in the most graceful way possible.

During her acceptance speech, she threw in some comic relief about her fall, and then thanked everyone, seeming a bit shocked that she won an Oscar.

Christoph Waltz took the Oscar for best actor in a supporting role for his role in “Django Unchanined.” Best actress in a supporting role was won by Anne Hathaway for her role in “Les Miserables.”

The performance of the “One Day More” by the cast of “Les Miserables” was definitely one of the highlights of the awards show.

“Brave” took the Oscar for best animated feature film. It’s likely that the audience under the age of 18 tuned out after this point.

Some of the awards that a lot of people don’t often talk about are the technical awards, which was where a lot of movies received their Oscars.

The Oscar for cinematography was awarded to “Life of Pi,” which had the same cinematographer who created “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” Claudio Miranda. The movie also took the Oscar for best director, who was Ang Lee.

The Oscar for costuming went to “Anna Karenina,” costumed by Jacqueline Durran.

“Argo” won the Oscar for film editing for the work done by William Goldenberg. The Oscar for makeup and hairstyling was awarded to “Les Miserables.”

Although “Les Miserables” did have some incredible work with makeup and hairstyling, “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” had much more intricate work done to the actors that deserved the Oscar.

The Oscar for best original score was awarded to “Life of Pi,” which was scored by Mychael Danna. Adele’s song “Skyfall” won the Oscar for best original song, which was in the latest 007 movie “Skyfall.”

Adele’s performance of “Skyfall” at the Oscars was impeccably done and quite moving.

The Oscar for production design was awarded to “Lincoln,” with Rick Carter on production design and Jim Erikson on set decoration.

Likewise with makeup and hairstyling, “The Hobbit” deserved the Oscar for production and set design much more than “Lincoln” did.

“Paperman” by John Kars took the Oscar for best animated short film. The Oscar for live action short film was awarded to “Curfew” by Shawn Christensen.

The Oscar for sound editing was split by the movies “Skyfall” and “Zero Dark Thirty.” Per Barker and Karen Baker Landers sound edited “Skyfall” while Paul N.J. Ottonson sound edited “Zero Dark Thirty.”

“Les Miserables” took the Oscar for best sound mixing. The Oscar for best visual effects was awarded to “Life of Pi.”

The Oscar for the writing of an adapted screenplay was given to “Argo,” written by Chris Terrio and the Oscar for writing an original screenplay was awarded to “Django Unchained.”

“Searching for Sugarman” won the Oscar for documentary feature and the Oscar for documentary short was given to “Inocent.”

The Oscar for best foreign film was awarded to “Amour.”

Overall, no one movie monopolized the awards, however “Argo,” “Les Miserables” and “Life of Pi” all received the most amount of awards, three, over the rest of the films.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI