AlumKnights connect with students

AlumKnights is a new monthly feature article written by a member of the Gannon University Alumni Association to share National Alumni Board initiatives, showcase our successful alumni and connect to the student community.

In your life’s journey, you probably noticed that there are many decisions to make that can be life changing.

In fact, your decision to attend Gannon University was one.

No one said life would be easy, but what about life after Gannon?   Did you know that Gannon has an Alumni Association?

If you attended Gannon for at least one semester and are no longer registered for classes, you are automatically a lifelong member of the Gannon University Alumni Association.

The Gannon University Alumni Association offers a way to connect with the university long after you’re no longer roaming the halls of Zurn or dancing your way to Broadway on a homecoming float.

Having an Alumni Association makes your degree more valuable and supports the university’s mission of teaching, scholarship and service.

There is much to be proud of attending Gannon University, and actively participating in the Alumni Association continues the experience beyond your time as student.

Here is a list of just four benefits to you as a future member of the Alumni Association:

Active Alumni Regions: 

With more than 34,025 living alumni in all 50 states and internationally, the association currently has 12 identified metropolitan regions that host events year-round to keep alumni and friends connected.

From sports tailgates and happy hours to cultural events and community celebrations, there are networking events and social activities for alumni of all ages.

Career Development and Employment Services: 

Recruiters and alumni alike know the quality of a Gannon University degree. As a graduate, you are always able to utilize Gannon’s Career Development and Employment Services (CDES).

Alumni seeking new employment, a career change or other job-related assistance can work with CDES staff members for resume assistance, job interview training and individual career advice.  Additionally, you may post your resume and browse job opportunities on the CDES website.

Homecoming and Reunions:

Presented annually by the Alumni Association, the Alumni Homecoming Reunion Weekend brings hundreds of alumni back to campus every year for class year and group reunions, football tailgates, college receptions and more.  All Association members receive an invitation to return.  You can also request the help of the Alumni Services office to find contact information and advertise your own group’s reunion.

Scholarships: 

The National Alumni Board — governing body of the Alumni Association — funds the Gannon University Alumni Association Endowed “Power” Legacy Scholarship to benefit the children of alumni.  In 2012, alumni contributed more than $600,000 to student scholarships, proving yet again that Gannon graduates value their education and believe in giving back to future generations of alumni.

I encourage you to check out our website www.gannonalumni.org or contact us at [email protected] to learn more.

On behalf of the Gannon University Alumni Association, I wish you a very successful semester.

Watch for next month’s edition of AlumKnights, where you’ll hear more about the Alumni Association’s Inspiration to the Next Generation Award for seniors and a new graduating senior/National Alumni Board networking party.

SCOTT  M. KRALL