Joe Knows

OK, enough football. Enough Harbaugh brothers. Enough Ray Lewis and Colin Kapernick. Enough pistol formation, power outage and bad commercials.

Heck, they weren’t even the most interesting storylines of last week.

In case you haven’t noticed, and judging by the attention, you haven’t, the PGA Tour season is under way.

And it has every bit of intrigue that a half-lit indoor football game with no defense has to offer.

Need your fix of deer antler spray? Golf’s got you covered on that front.

But it’s been anything other than the young bucks who have owned the tour so far.

Tiger twisting the screws to Phil and Lefty, in turn, stuffing it back in his face ala Dikembe Mutombo.

(That last one would be pretty hilarious, wouldn’t it?)

Like so many times in the past, Tiger Woods notified us of this two weeks ago by blowing away the field at the Insurance Farmers Insurance Open in San Diego, winning by four strokes.

After watching Tiger dominate in his backyard like this, Phil Mickelson decided to see his longtime rival and raise him one this weekend at the Phoenix Open.

Lefty responded by nearly shooting a 59 in the first round Thursday, horseshoeing the final hole. Phil’s final score was a ridiculous 28 strokes under par.

Your turn, Tiger.

With Phil and Tiger back in the world top 10, there now is a reason to watch on Sundays before the Masters.

Curiously missing from the discussion has been “the chosen one,” Rory McIlroy.

On Jan. 14, the 23-year-old inked a massive 10-year, $250 million contract with Nike, but ditched his new putter in favor of his old Scotty Cameron after one round a week later at the HSBC Championship in Abu Dhabi. He missed the cut for the first time in 25 tournaments and since then, has been on break trying to get used to the new equipment.

McIlroy isn’t expected to return to competition until the Accenture Match Play Championship on Feb. 20-24. Coincidentally, it will be the same time Woods returns since his win at Torrey Pines.

Woods has historically had great success at the match play tournament, winning it a record three times. Last season, McIlroy was the runner-up to Hunter Mahan. The idea of Woods, Mickelson or a rejuvenated McIlroy in a head-to-head match should have golf fans salivating.

Maybe even more than Vijay Singh over a field of fresh leafy greens.

Singh was one of the athletes revealed to have taken deer antler spray, which he readily immediately admitted to while pleading ignorance about its illegality.

Yes, the Tour is firing on all cylinders in early February.

We can only hope that there isn’t a sudden power surge.

JOE CUNEO