Gannon welcomes siblings

Gannon University’s Activities Programming Board is aiming to provide laughter, entertainment and creativity for its 2013 annual Lil’ Sibs weekend.

As of Monday evening, 61 students are registered to participate in the weekend-long activities.

Lexie Mastro, a junior physician assistant major, is expecting the numbers to swell before Friday, considering mail that may arrive late.

It is something the little siblings and students can look forward to and share together as a fun experience, Mastro said.

Every year, APB puts together a weekend filled with events and food for students and their siblings.

Elizabeth Westburgh, a sophomore 3+3 legal studies major, participated in last year’s Lil’ Sibs weekend.

“I wanted to participate in Lil’ Sibs weekend again because my little sibling really enjoyed seeing where I am and all of the activities last year,” Westburgh said.

Mary Price, a sophomore sport and exercise science major, said she attended Lil’ Sibs weekend last year and had an amazing time.

“I’ve always been close with my brother and it was hard on both of us when I left for school,” Price said. “This shows him that I’m O.K. and what I’m doing.”

APB invites all little siblings from ages 7 to 18 to join the Gannon community in the weekend of activities that have been prepared.

Mastro is in charge of the APB event that has taken months of preparation, from planning what events to include to getting the word out to students’ families.

“As the coordinator, I try to pick a lot of different events that all add up to one holistic, fun weekend,” Mastro said.

This year, the event is $25 per person, which covers the expenses of a T-shirt, crafting and four meals.

The student check-in will take place on the third floor of Palumbo Academic Center from 5-8 p.m. Friday.

Lil’ Sibs weekend will begin with a pizza party as well as an informational meeting followed by a boys vs. girls sibling challenge that will start at 9 p.m.

On Saturday, brunch will be offered from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Beyer Hall Cafeteria.

The students and their siblings can then bounce over to the Carneval Athletic Pavilion, where there will be a bouncy castle and a variety of games to play, such as basketball and corn hole from 1-4 p.m.

After enjoying the physical activities at the CAP, participants can choose to engage their creative sides during craft time back in Palumbo, which will include making homemade T-shirts, stuffing snuggly teddy bears and drawing pictures.

A catered dinner will be available on the third floor of Palumbo afterward from 5:30-6:30 p.m.

After dinner, there will be a photo booth available to all, so that students and their siblings may have something to document their weekend together.

Rusty the Comedian will perform in Club La Riccia from 7-8 p.m. to end the evening with laughter, which will continue during the screening of “Wreck-It Ralph” at 8:30 p.m. in Zurn 104. The film will also play again at 2 p.m. Sunday.

APB encourages students to attend Mass at 11 a.m. Sunday at Mary, Seat of Wisdom Chapel and to enjoy their last meal with their siblings in Beyer Hall Cafeteria.

Mastro said she is looking forward to the upcoming events, and hopes that students bringing siblings will take part in as many of the activities as they can.

“This weekend gives older siblings a chance to share their life at college with their younger siblings,” Mastro said.

To get more information on Lil’ Sibs Weekend, contact Mastro at 724-766-9481, or at [email protected].

COLLEEN LANGHAM