Springfest DJ acts revealed

This week, Mercyhurst University students were pleased with the revealing of this year’s Springfest performers, The White Panda and Super Mash Bros.

The event, planned in conjunction by Mercyhurst Student Government (MSG) and the Student Activities Council (SAC), is a student favorite, and this year will hopefully not be an exception.

The decision is a sharp turn from previous performers, which include Plain White T’s, Hellogoodbye and Sean Kingston, who are more renowned in the pop scene than the DJs set to perform this year. Both artists are known for their mash-ups, which combine various Top 40 hits into one track.

“[Top 40 hits] are songs people listen to when they go out,” SAC Chair Adam Borgman said. “We want people to come out to dance and have fun at this year’s Springfest.”

A major difference regarding this year’s announcement was the manner in which it was done. As opposed to having a reveal party like they have the past years, SAC decided to cut on costs so they could add to the production of the event itself.

“Last year for Sean Kingston, we had a low turnout. Around 30 people showed up to the reveal party and, within an hour, the entire school knew. Since the rumor mill runs at the speed of light, we decided to use that instead,” Jenna Dasciano, events coordinator for MSG said.

“We told one of our MSG Senators, Emily Carrier, who the performer was. She was the only one who knew, but we wanted to test how fast [word] spread. We really wanted people to guess who it was, so this was a great way to see it happen,” Borgman said.

Student response has mainly been positive, with students excited to see a different kind of performance at Springfest.

“It’s a hundred times better than what we’ve had in past years. I’m definitely attending the concert this year,” sophomore Brendan Mortimer said.

Sophomore Damir Demirovic expressed growing interest with the announcement of this year’s performers.

“I’ve gotten into White Panda over the last year and can’t wait to see them at Mercyhurst,” Demirovic said.

Although they have not faced any negative feedback regarding the decision, Borgman encourages students to attend MSG meetings. The meetings take place in the the MSG Chambers in the Student Union on Mondays at 8:30 p.m., and are open to the students and voice their opinions, positive or negative.

Springfest will occur Friday, May 3, and the ticket release date will be announced closer to the event.

JUAN MENDEZ