PSU’s THON goal within reach

This is the moment Penn State Behrend’s Interfraternity and Panhellenic councils’ Dance MaraTHON co-chairs Taylor Hennon and Marianne Piatek have been waiting for. Ever since General Electric promised to match up to $20,000 raised by Behrend’s THON committee, the main goal has been to reach that number – and they’ve almost done it.

“A couple of weeks ago when we were told that GE was matching [up to $20,000 in donations] we were at about $14,500,” Hennon said. “Over the past few weeks we’ve worked real hard, along with other clubs and organizations on campus, to reach that 20k goal.”

So far, THON is ahead of their scheduled goal. They’re predicting to break the $20,000 goal well before THON weekend.

“When I tallied our total up this morning, I was shocked,” Hennon said. “We’ve beaten last year’s total, and with GE’s donation, this will be the most Behrend has ever raised for THON. We’re encouraging students, faculty and staff and alumni to get behind the fight so we can get over $40,000 THON this weekend.”

Every year, the Behrend THON committee makes a specific goal to work toward. This year’s goal may be doubled with GE’s potential donations, but THON doesn’t plan on stopping there.  They have set up a network of fundraisers with several companies in order to reach the $20,000 on schedule.

“THON sent out letters to companies asking for donations as well as other individuals within THON. We sold T-shirts and had a fundraiser at Pizza Hut. SAAC raised around $1,100 for us through penny wars,” Hennon said.

“It’s exciting to know we are so close to reaching the $20,000,” Piatek said. “We have another fundraiser that will be coming up in the next couple of weeks that will help us come close, plus all the donations that we are still getting.”

GE’s potential donation will support children who are battling cancer. Employees at GE will also benefit from the THON / GE partnership.

Money raised solely by THON fundraisers is added to the Four Diamonds Fund at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital. The funds will support research and treatments that are not covered by insurance.

The main event for THON is on Feb. 16 at University Park in the Bryce Jordan Center. This will kick off the 46-hour dance marathon hosted annually by Penn State students and faculty.

Since 1977, THON has raised more than $89 million for cancer related treatments and research.

ANDREW MOULTON