SAG Awards lead to Oscar speculation

The 19th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards, which aired live Sunday, honored the best in television and film.

The night’s highest distinction went to Ben Affleck’s “Argo.” The drama, which centers on the 1980 Iranian hostage crisis, won Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture.

Meanwhile, “Lincoln,” “Les Miserables” and “Silver Linings Playbook” swept the remaining categories.

The award for best male actor went to Daniel Day-Lewis for his performance in “Lincoln.” If his wins at the Golden Globes and SAG Awards are any indication, Day-Lewis is a lock to take home the Best Actor Oscar Feb 24.

Adding to the accolades for “Lincoln,” Tommy Lee Jones won the SAG’s best supporting actor statue for his role as Thaddeus Stevens. He’ll go head to head against Christoph Waltz, who won the Golden Globe this year, at the Oscars.

Jennifer Lawrence, whose dress snafu set the Internet abuzz, won best lead actress for the quirky dramedy “Silver Linings Playbook.” She’s also up for an Oscar in the same category, with her primary competition said to be “Zero Dark Thirty”‘s Jessica Chastain.

Finally, Anne Hathaway was awarded best supporting actress. Her part as Fantine in “Les Miserables” also earned her a Golden Globe and will likely result in an Oscar.

APRIL SHERNISKY