Knights roll into PSAC play

The Gannon University women’s basketball team is ranked 11th in the USA Today Sports Division II women’s basketball poll after starting its season with a 4-1 record, along with two exhibition victories over Division I teams.

Coach Cleve Wright said the women’s team has benefitted from playing talented teams before the regular season began.

The Knights had the pleasure of kicking off their regular season with the Disney Tip-off Classic in Anaheim, Calif. The Knights went 2-1 in their three games against two ranked opponents and the other receiving votes.

The first game of the tip-off classic the Knights defeated the University of California, San Diego, 68-54. The team absorbed its first loss of season in the second game of the tip-off against Ashland University, 70-59.

Gannon won its final game of the invitational classic against West Texas A&M University, 55-44. Wright said it was a great benefit to play some ranked and strong teams before the bulk of their Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference schedule begins.

“We were able to compete and play some of the country’s top teams,” Wright said.

Gannon returned to Greensburg, Pa., and defeated Seton Hall University, 80-55. In their most recent game the Knights routed Ursuline College, 100-48.

Junior Jen Papich scored a season-high 25 points.

Wright said the team has been able to get off on a strong start due to the depth of the squad.

The Knights benefitted from having 10 players play 12 or more minutes.

“We’ve been able to play at least 10 players for double-figure minutes,” Wright said.

The Knights begin PSAC action this weekend with two games. Gannon has a home game against Kutztown University 1 p.m. Saturday and another home matchup taking on East Stroudsburg University 1 p.m. Sunday.

CONNOR SONDEL