Behrend students dance, raise money for noble cause

Penn State will be holding its 35th annual THON 46-hour dance marathon on Thursday.

The purpose of THON, as stated on www.thon.org, is “to conquer pediatric cancer by providing outstanding emotional and financial support to the children, families, researchers and staff of the Four Diamonds Fund, an organization that is used to help families whose children have been diagnosed with cancer.”

Although THON is an event held at University Park, students at Behrend are doing what they can to make an impact at this event.

A THON committee has been created on campus and is sending two students to University Park to dance during THON.

Right now, this group of students is working hard in order to raise as much money as possible to donate to the cause. The Behrend students dancing crazily on Peach Street in rain or shine are students from the THON committee canning to raise money.

One weekend alone, they raised $3,091.89, and they seem to be raising more money every time they fundraise.

Not only does Behrend help raise money and send students up to participate in THON, but they allow students who are not able to go to University Park to get a taste of what THON is like, and donate to the cause if they please.

They do this through a program called 24 For A Cure, also known as 24FAC. 24FAC is “a 24-hour no-sit, no-sleep dance marathon” held right here in Erie Hall.

This year’s 24FAC started on Saturday, Nov. 3 at 10 a.m. and ended 24 hours later.

Dancing is not the only event to participate in at 24FAC; there will also be “games of Bingo, Penn State Hour, video games and much more.”

All of the funds collected at 24FAC go directly to the Four Diamonds Fund. The Behrend THON committee has already raised an amount of money that has surpassed last year’s total for 24FAC.

LEXIE PELCHEN