Community invited to salute veterans

In the week preceding Veterans Day, which will occur Monday, Gannon University students and faculty will be part of events that commemorate the commitment and sacrifices made by United States military veterans.

The ROTC program invites all of the Gannon community to participate in these events, to show their support and gratitude for the service of our veterans.

The first event is the Veterans Day Salute, at 3 p.m. Thursday.

It will take place at the monument for Gannon’s fallen ROTC alumni, located at the foot of the flagpole on A.J.’s Way.

This memorial was erected in 2008 to commemorate those six officers who were killed in action in the Korea and Vietnam conflicts.

At the ceremony, Erie School District Superintendent Jay Badams, Ph.D., an Army veteran, will share his thoughts on apects of military service.

University officials will speak as well, and a Marine Corps Reserve Unit will be on hand to render a 21-gun salute.

Lt. Col. Ronald Swift, now retired, is Gannon’s veterans financial aid and enrollment counselor, and he said he encourages all students and Gannon faculty members to attend.

According to Swift, your presence will “recognize and honor military veteran Gannon University students, employees, retirees, alumni, members of our community, active duty service members, and serving National Guard and Reservists from all five branches—Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. ”

On Saturday, the “Pride of PA” Army ROTC Battalion will march in Erie’s annual Veterans Day Parade.

Beginning at 9:30 a.m., the cadets, as well as local veterans’ groups, high school JROTC cadets, and other groups, will march from veterans Memorial Stadium on State and 26th streets to the Veterans Affairs Medical Center on East 38th Street.

Everyone is invited to the parade route to show their support of the veterans and the veterans that the parade honors.

Finally, at Saturday’s football game that will feature Gannon vs. Long Island University Post, there will be a veterans’ recognition at half time.

It is important for Gannon students to realize the importance of the university’s military legacy and the respect it gives to those who have served, according to Swift and his cadets.

“Our university has a lengthy and proud history of military service and commitment to our country in times of war and peace,” he said. “Gannon University has continuously supported the promotion of military leadership and character as witnessed through our U. S. Army ROTC program since 1948.

“It is only proper and fitting that our community, both campus and local Erie community, is able to join in this salute to veterans and our celebration of the freedom and liberty that we enjoy. It’s very appropriate that we recognize those who are responsible and who are willing to risk their lives to keep it that way.”

Consider attending one of this weekend’s events, and keep all veterans in your thoughts this upcoming weekend.

CATE FELDER