Rock drop Knights in OT

The Gannon Univesity men’s soccer team earned a NCAA Division II Tournament berth after a 12-5 record in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference this season.

Gannon was awarded the top seed in the Atlantic Region and will host its NCAA match against the fourth-seeded Davis & Elkins Senators at 1 p.m. Sunday at Gannon University Field.

The Knights were bounced out of the PSAC Tournament with a 2-1 double-overtime loss to Slippery Rock University in their quarterfinal match Thursday.

Junior defender Ivan Tolic headed in the lone goal for Gannon from a cross delivered by redshirt freshman Gavin Linsell. Slippery Rock freshman midfielder Ryan Lutke netted the game-winning goal in the final minute of the second overtime period.

Slippery Rock goalkeeper Clayton Master registered seven saves while Gannon keeper Jason Barbarino made five stops.

“The team played hard against Slippery Rock but it wasn’t our day,” Alex Perri, a sophomore midfielder, said.

Coach Rob van Rheenen said the team worked hard and battled back to give themselves a chance to win.

“In the playoffs anything can happen and it was difficult to lose the game with only 39 seconds left on the clock after working so hard for the win,” van Rheenen said.

The team has now dropped its last three games, two to Slippery Rock and the other to Mercyhurst College.

“I feel that after losing our final three games that we are fortunate not only to receive a bid but host a game,” van Rheenen said.

Van Rheenen said the team’s No. 1 goal from the start of the season was to qualify for the NCAA Tournament. With this goal achieved, van Rheenen said this will be a great opportunity to prove themselves on a national level.

Davis & Elkins has a 14-3-2 overall record record. Gannon defeated the Senators 3-1 at home Sept. 9.

CONNOR SONDEL