Soccer beats ‘Ship in OT

The 12th-ranked Gannon University men’s soccer team bounced back this weekend with a 2-1 double-overtime win over Shippensburg Saturday.

The match came to its conclusion when redshirt freshman Gavin Linsell found senior midfielder Sean Washek in the 104th minute.

Senior midfielder Tyler Hollingsworth scored the first goal of the match from a cross by Linsell. Shippensburg’s lone goal of the contest came off a penalty kick converted by senior defender Sam Talbot.

The first 90 minutes ended with a level score and the game went into an initial overtime period with both team struggling to find scoring opportunities.

Coach Rob van Rheenen said that Washek’s goal was very important because it allowed the team to bounce back after a loss to California University of Pennsylvania, and put Gannon (12-2 overall, 6-1Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference) in position to reach its goal of competing in the NCAA tournament.

Van Rheenen said that junior goalkeeper Jason Barbarino did not face many quality shots on net the most recent match, but he played well while only giving up one goal scored by a penalty kick.

Van Rheenen said he was pleased with the uncharacteristic offensive contribution that Linsell added in his two-assist effort.

“He has played more as a defensive midfielder, which makes it more difficult to make an impact in the attack,” van Rheenen said.

Linsell said that he did not have his best game against Shippensburg, but he was pleased that he managed to snap out of it in the two important situations. Linsell’s touch and ball movement lifted the team to victory.

“I try to use my vision on the field to play to the best of my ability,” Linsell said.

Linsell also said that a strong finish to the season is vital. He said the final two games of the season are must wins because he believes if the Knights come up short, then Millersville University (9-6, 6-2),which is tied with Gannon for first place in the PSAC could possibly host conference tournament.

“We would like to host the tournament and have these teams come to our backyard,” Linsell said.

The Knights look to continue their success with a home PSAC match against Slippery Rock University at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday. Gannon will follow by playing Mercyhurst 1 p.m. Saturday.

CONNOR SONDEL