Recently released movie has its limits and ‘Perks’

“The Perks of Being a Wallflower” may not be suitable for every audience.

For those who enjoy intense action movies with an abundance of fun graphics and green screens, this is not the show you’re looking for.

“The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” also known as “Perks,” slaps you in the face with a great deal of drama and reality that some people either don’t want to see or can’t handle seeing.

“Perks” tells the story of Charlie, played by Logan Leerman, who is very shy and has a lot of trouble with high school. Throughout the movie, Charlie personifies a wallflower as he sees many things that go on but doesn’t speak about them.

Charlie faces several conflicts throughout the movie, such as his shy demeanor, his fear of confrontation, the negative effects of drug use, unrequited love and repressed memories.

Audiences may recognize Leerman as Percy Jackson from “Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief,” or D’Artgnan from “The Three Musketeers.”

While Leerman portrays Charlie very well, if audiences have not seen any of his other movies or read the book “The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” they may just think he’s awkward, which is just Charlie’s character.

One of the more recognizable cast members, Emma Watson, plays Sam, Charlie’s love interest. Sam is a free-spirited senior in high school who seems to only care for Charlie as a younger brother until later in the movie.

Watson not only did a good job of masking her British accent, but she also managed to play a significantly different character than Hermione in the Harry Potter series, which she played for a decade. Getting out of that mindset had the potential to be difficult but Watson executed it quite well.

Another more famous actress was Nina Dobrev of “The Vampire Diaries” and “Degrassi,” who played Charlie’s sister, Candace.

While Candace was a smaller character, when she was on screen Dobrev gave her as much depth as she could.

A less popular actor, Ezra Miller, hilariously played Charlie’s outgoing friend Patrick.

While Patrick offered some comic relief, Miller also did well to show drama in his character. Miller played both ends of the spectrum well.

For those who have read the books, the movie leaves out a few minor details, but there are no major disappointments.

All in all, “Perks” was put together and executed well, but it is not a movie for everyone, which is probably why only a few movie theaters across the country are showing it.

This movie was profitable to bigger cities with a more diverse group of people and hasn’t been to  Erie yet. But who’s to say that it won’t succeed once it finally arrives at Erie Friday.

It’s safe to say that those people who read the book will definitely enjoy the movie and those who like serious dramas should also watch it.

Those who feel like they would enjoy this movie can go see it at Tinseltown after it is released there Friday.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI