‘How I Met Your Mother’ begins its eighth season

The Season 8 premiere of “How I Met Your Mother” had several laughs, but with it more questions than answers.

Though the title may imply otherwise, most people don’t watch the show to find out who Ted, played by Josh Radnor, marries – the mother. Most people watch the show because it is hilarious.

Barney Stinson, played by Neil Patrick Harris, exemplifies most of the humor on the show. His character has some of the best one-liners and he always gets himself into crazy shenanigans.

Robin Scherbatsky, played by Cobie Smulters, also has her humorous moments. The character is originally from Canada and was raised by her dad as a son. Her mannerisms oddly make you laugh.

The other two characters, Marshall Erickson, played by Jason Segel, and Lily Aldrin, played by Alyson Hannigan, offer a quirky humor to the show. Ted’s attempts to find “the one,” while often shameful, also present the audience with something entertaining.

While the show is funny, it has substance. The fans are wondering when the title of the series will actually be answered. Who is the mother? There are several times when the writers show the mother, but you never see her face as she is always covered.

The writers of the show have given us some hints about what the mother is like, but will they ever show her? With this season being potentially the last one, it’s hard to say.

Here’s what we know about the mother. She carries a yellow umbrella, she was the roommate of a girl named Cindy that Ted used to date, she plays the bass guitar, she makes breakfast foods sing show tunes, she paints pictures of robots playing sports, she was in the economics class that Ted accidentally taught on his first day teaching architecture, he calls her right after he gets her number, he quits smoking two weeks into dating her, he’ll be married to her with a kid by 2015 and she will be at the Farhampton train station after Barney and Robin’s wedding.

Even though Victoria, a girl Ted dated in the first season, left her fiancé at the altar for Ted, hopefully the writers have found a way to break them up and have Ted meet the mother sometime in the next 23 episodes. One can assume that at this point in time we have not been introduced to the mother yet. I have no idea how the writers intend on introducing her.

They could either introduce her and then slowly reveal that she is the mother, or they could wait till the very last episode and finally show the face under the yellow umbrella and have a voice over that says, “…and that is how I met your mother.” Then again, the writers could think of something completely different.

Another puzzling concept is how Barney gets to the point where he breaks up with his current fiancé and gets to his wedding with Robin. Not to mention whether or not he going to marry Robin at all.

Although one could argue that Barney and Robin will get married, as Ted always refers to Barney as “Uncle Barney” and Robin as “Aunt Robin,” the other side could argue that Ted could just refer to them that way because they’re both important people in his kids’ lives.

Ultimately, there has been a lot of chemistry throughout the series between Barney and Robin, so it is quite likely that they will end up married. Hopefully they do anyway.

Overall, the episode was a good start to the eighth and potentially last season of “How I Met Your Mother.” The writers have not given a definitive answer as to whether or not this season will be the last. If the season does end without revealing the mother the writers should be ashamed, but they can rest assured that they have made several people laugh.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI