VMAs lack shock value of years past

People all across America tuned in to watch the 2012 MTV Video Music Awards on Thursday.

This year’s VMAs contained some surprises regarding who received awards. Aside from that, the show was very structural and uneventful, except for the roster of performers that MTV lined up.

Viewers did not get to experience Kanye interrupting anyone or Lady Gaga dressed in drag.

As appropriate for an awards show, several musicians received awards. One Direction received not one, not two, but three moonman awards for their video “What Makes You Beautiful.”

The video won the award for best new artist, best pop video and most share-worthy video.

Not that One Direction didn’t make a huge impact on the music scene this year, but I felt like fun. should have won at least one award. I’m sure fans everywhere would not have been too depressed if One Direction only went home with two moonmen.

The rest of the moonman awards, I feel, were awarded well. Perhaps most importantly, video of the year was awarded to Rihanna for her video “We Found Love” that featured Calvin Harris.

Best female video was awarded to Nicki Minaj for her video “Starships.” Best male video went to Chris Brown for “Turn Up the Music.”

Best hip hop award went to Drake in “HYFR” featuring Lil’ Wayne. Demi Lovato received the award for best video with a message for her video “Skyscraper.”

Calvin Harris won the award for best electronic dance music video for his video “Feel So Close.”

Finally, the best rock video award went to Coldplay for their video “Paradise.”

My favorite performance out of all of the artists was Frank Ocean’s “Thinking ’Bout You.” This song stood out above everybody else’s performance.

Which is not to say I didn’t think anyone else’s performance wasn’t good.

Memorable performances at the VMAs include Taylor Swift’s “We Are Never Getting Back Together,” One Direction’s “One Thing,” Rihanna’s “Cockiness,” “We Found Love,” also by Rihanna, P!nk’s “Blow Me (One Last Kiss),” Green Day’s “Let Yourself Go”  and Alicia Keys and Nicki Minaj’s performance of “Girl on Fire.”

There wasn’t really any performance I liked the least. I think that everyone who came and played at the VMAs did a pretty decent job.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI