Knights’ shutout streak reaches four games

With its 6-0 win over Shepherd Saturday, the Gannon University women’s soccer team moved to 4-0 on the season, and is quickly impressing the voters of the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA)/Continental Tire NCAA Division II Atlantic Region.

This is the first time that the team has ever started off at 4-0, and in the process, they stand in fourth place in the region.

Equally as impressive as their ranking is the fact that they have not allowed an opponent to score yet this year, winning their games by a combined score of 12-0.

On the season, junior goaltender Sarah Geffel has registered 16 saves in  four straight shutouts, a school record. Freshman forward Sammy Valloud leads a balanced offense with four goals. Sophomore midfielder Michelle Genetin and sophomore midfielder Justine Rodrigues freshman forward have each chipped in a pair of scores as well.

Rodrigues’ first goal of the season couldn’t have come at a more opportune time, as her unassisted score in the 80th minute against Lock Haven University Wednesday was the difference in the Knights’ Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference opener.

The Knights followed up their win over the Bald Eagles with a 6-0 thrashing of Shepherd University at home Saturday. Valloud and Genetin each scored twice in the rout.

Gannon will attempt to continue its record start when it travels to take on Bloomsburg and East Stroudsberg universities Friday and Saturday.

ZACH NOGGLE

Joe Cuneo contributed to this story