Sophomore offers advice to newcomers

Congrats! If you’re reading this, then that probably means you’ve made it to Gannon University for the fall 2012 semester.

While moving in is a huge success, the next part of your college experience can be a bit more difficult.  Luckily, Gannon has the resources that can make it easier for you.

I remember during my first few weeks at Gannon, people kept telling me to “get involved” with some of the activities on campus. It’s honestly some of the best advice I was given.

Gannon has numerous clubs and organizations on campus that you can be involved in. Information about these clubs can be found at the Activities Fair held in the Carneval Athletic Pavilion from 2 – 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 21.

The Activities Fair is part of a four-day event known as Preview GU. Events to welcome freshmen will be held Aug. 18 – 21.

Another way to get involved in your college experience is to go to different events. The Activities Programing Board (APB) seems to always have something planned, whether it’s a movie in the Zurn Science Center, a speaker, a performer or a trip to Cedar Point. Some of these events are also free and can help you to fill out your Lifecore wheel and build your co-curricular transcript.

Outside of APB, there may be something going on at your residence hall, a performance at the Schuster Theatre or an event at the One Green World Café.

If you like to volunteer, or if you need to for a class, GIVE Day and Day of Caring make it easy for students to help out in the Erie community, along with other students at Gannon.

Aside from activities, Gannon offers almost anything that can help make your college experience, if nothing else, less stressful.

If you’re struggling in class and you need some help, the Student Success Center can provide you with a tutor. If you just need help writing a paper, the Writing Center will have someone to assist you no matter what stage you are at with your paper.

I always found studying in my room to be unproductive because there were too many things to distract me. One way to avoid this bump in the road is to go to the library. The library not only provides a quiet environment to study and get work done, but it’s usually filled with other people who are trying to get work done, so you’re not alone.

One downfall about going to a school with several thousand others is that sickness can spread pretty quickly. Whether or not you want to tough it out and go to class, or stay in bed for a few days, going to the Health Center can help you find out what you have and the quickest way to get over it. It’s much better than staying sick for two weeks straight.

I may sound like your mom when I say this, but make sure you go to class. Not only is it required for most of the classes you take, but attendance can factor into your grade. Making the decision to wake up early when you desperately want to sleep in can make the difference between a B+ and an A.

One last piece of advice I can offer: try to call your family every once in a while. They like to know how you’re doing. All in all, whatever you decide to do while you’re at Gannon, you can help it to be the best possible experience you can have.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI