Breakfast offers study break

Students will get to submerge themselves in maple syrup at Gannon University’s traditional Mid-Knight Pancake Breakfast at 9:30 p.m. Sunday at the Waldron Campus Center.

The breakfast, sponsored by the president’s office, was started a few years ago and has been a cherished Gannon tradition ever since.

According to Pete Mannarelli, general manager of Metz Associates, around 2,000 pancakes, 500 portions of hash browns, 320 portions of sausages and 200 pounds of scrambled eggs will be served to more than 700 hungry students.

“The students love it and look forward to it,” Mannarelli said. “It’s a great way to break up the monotony of finals and get their week started.”

The breakfast also serves to grow instructor-student interaction as faculty and staff members volunteer to serve the food to the students at different stations throughout the night.

“I have been doing this for five years,” said Eric Pope, associate director of the SOLD office. “It’s a simple and a pleasant thing for us to do to get the students ready for their stressful finals.”

Students also enjoy having their instructors and advisers serve them.

When asked about how she felt about the breakfast, Kim Hor, a sophomore sport and exercise science major at Gannon said it was “always fun to see professors do something for the students outside the classroom environment, especially after we work so hard for them during the semester.”

As the end of the semester approaches, students look for any way to unwind and prepare themselves for the stress of finals; the breakfast has proven successful in doing that.

“Last year was the first time I went to the Mid-Knight Pancake Breakfast and it was very enjoyable,” said Cristianne Johnson, a sophomore journalism communications major.

“The breakfast is a nice break from studying and everyone loves the food.

“I am looking forward to going there again this year.”

HIBA ALMASRI