Group prepares for biannual concernt

The Fray, Jack’s Mannequin and Andy Grammer will be performing at the Tullio Arena 7 p.m. Sunday, April 15. The concert is a joint effort between Gannon and Edinboro universities and Penn State Behrend.

The Fray released their latest album, titled “Scars & Stories,” on Feb. 7. The band is known best for songs such as “You Found Me” and “Over My Head (Cable Car).”  Their music is frequently used in the hit television show “Grey’s Anatomy.”

Jack’s Mannequin is an alternative rock band that gained a large following after lead singer Andrew McMahon overcame his battle with Acute Lymphatic Leukemia.  The band’s latest album was released in September 2011.  Songs “Dark Blue,” “The Mixed Tape” and “Bruised” are among their top hits.

Up and coming artist Andy Grammer’s first single, “Keep Your Head Up,” is a catchy tune that is on its way to reaching platinum.

Grammer’s second single, “Fine By Me,” is currently in the top 10 on VH1’s Top 20 Music Video Countdown.

The BEG4Music – the title  and logo of the concert committee – features five students and one adviser from each school as well as a staff member from the Tullio Arena.

The Gannon group is senior legal studies major Emily Taft, junior psychology major Pamela Harrington, junior occupational therapy major Taylor Weingart, freshman communications major Ted Hallowell, sophomore nursing major Becca Gaston,  and Director of Student Organizations and Leadership Development Beth Shick.

Heather Wilson, a freshman nursing major, said she is a big fan of The Fray. “I’m excited for the concert,” she said. “I’ve been listening to them for a very long time. Although it will be in the Tullio Arena, I wish it was in our gym because it would have made it more personal.”

Dave Goodwill from Edinboro proposed the idea for a joint concert over the summer.  The committee has been meeting since October and every decision that has been made has been a joint effort.  The meetings sometimes have lasted two or three hours and to fit everyone’s schedule. They usually meet around 9 p.m.

Kelly Reese, a freshman political science major, said she is going to love seeing The Fray in concert because she has never had the chance to see them live.

Having a joint concert means all three schools have to plan everything together.  When the committee did surveys in the fall to determine which genre students wanted to have the most, all of the schools used SurveyMonkey and asked the same questions.  The big reveal party that was held in the Waldron Campus Center in February was planned for the same time and date at all three schools so that students would not find out about it via Facebook or through friends.

Alyssa Billittier, a freshman physician assistant major, said she has only been to a few concerts during her lifetime. Billittier said it is cool that Gannon is sponsoring a concert for all Gannon students.

Tickets can be purchased on www.erieevents.com.  The current prices are $30 for bleachers seats and $40 for floor seats.  Be sure to get your tickets before the day of the show, because the price increases.

DANI WAGNER