APB brings laughs

The Activities Programming Board wants to you laugh, or at least its schedule of upcoming events suggests as much. APB is bringing two comedians in the next couple of weeks as part of its schedule.

Eric O’Shea will be in Club LaRiccia, the basement of the cafeteria, at 7 p.m. Sunday and Jeff “Buzz” Sutherland will also be in Club LaRiccia, at 8 p.m. Tuesday.

O’Shea, who has been to Gannon before, is known for his “Songs for Commercials,” an act featured on the Grammies a few years ago, Theresa Lohn, the after-hours chair of APB, said. He also makes fun of Elmo in his stand-up, an element which APB has turned into a competition. One of the APB staff dresses up like Elmo, and if students find Elmo, take a picture with him, upload it to Facebook and tag APB in it, they will receive a chance to win two free tickets to the upcoming concert headlined by The Fray, or two VIP tickets to Big Prize Bingo, which is part of April’s Springtopia week at Gannon.

The VIP tickets allow users to skip lines at the event, as they will have reserved seats.

Lohn said Elmo will be out and about on campus between 11 a.m. and noon on Thursday.

Sutherland also has been to Gannon before, and drew a crowd of more than 150 when he came.

He has appeared on NBC, ABC and Comedy Central shows.

He has also been a part of HBO’s Comic Relief and MTV’s Half Hour Comedy Hour.

Sutherland is known for a Donald Duck impression, which he uses especially in a sketch called, “Duck Job.”

He also shows ducks some love on his Twitter profile picture, and due to this, APB is handing out rubber duckies to students to garner interest.

Sutherland will also perform at Junior’s Last Laugh Comedy Club during the week he comes to Gannon.

Both shows at Gannon are free with a student I.D. High schoolers who are staying with Gannon students for Knight with Scholars this weekend are invited by the Admissions Office to attend O’Shea’s show.

APB is also planning to show off home-grown humor next month. A Gannon’s “Last Comic Standing” will be held at 6 p.m. March 23 in the One Green World Café.

Students interested in being one of the 15 competing comedians should email Lohn at [email protected].

The comedians will be judged by several members of the Gannon faculty and staff and a surprise guest judge not affiliated with Gannon. The event will also feature free food and prizes.

The “Last Comic Standing” winner will receive a $250 grand prize and a trophy and the second- and third-place winners will receive comparable prizes.

TESSY PAWLOWSKI