‘Survival’ weekend welcomes siblings

Outsmart, outperform and outrageous are the adjectives chosen by the Gannon University Activities Programming Board to describe the upcoming Survivor: Lil’ Sibs 2012 weekend.  So far, 108 students are registered for the weekend.

Each spring semester APB sponsors three days full of activities created to be shared by Gannon students and their little siblings, who have yet to fly from the childhood nesting grounds. This year the participants will attend the weekend events from Friday until Sunday.

Registration is open to the siblings of Gannon students ranging from ages 7 to 18. According to APB, this weekend offers the chance for Gannon students to share the experience of college with their younger siblings.

APB, headed by Lexie Mastro, a sophomore physician assistant major, has been preparing the Survivor weekend expeditions for the past several months by coordinating mailings, printings and orders.

Registration will occur in the lower lounge of the Student Services Building from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday.

Here the sibling pairs will receive their T-shirts to be utilized as skirmish uniforms during the survivor activities that loom in their future.

The excursion commences at 8 p.m. with a pizza party and informational meeting and is followed by the showing of “Puss and Boots the Movie” in Zurn Science Center Room 104.

The Survival Skills Competition will begin at 9 p.m. in the Lower Lounge of the Student Service Building.

Here the students and their little siblings will be confronted with a test of their abilities to “outsmart, outperform, and be outrageous,” according to APB.

Rations will be served from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. during Saturday brunch in the Beyer Hall Cafeteria.

The adventurers will slither their way to the Waldron Campus Center Piano Lounge for Herps Alive.

Here daring individuals will be given the opportunity to see slithery specimens of the jungles.

There will be various live reptiles available for investigation.

The Herps Alive show and the showings of “Puss in Boots the Movie” are open to the entire Gannon community.

“If holding a 10-foot snake is your thing, then come on over,” Mastro said.

At 2:30 p.m. in the Yehl Ballroom, remaining survivors will take a break with Survivor craft time, where the little siblings can participate in decorating their own survival kit.

After craft time, there will be a catered dinner in the Student Services Building, including caricature drawings, followed by another showing of “Puss in Boots the Movie” at 8 p.m. in Zurn 104.

On Sunday, APB encourages the survivors of the Lil’ Sibs 2012 expedition to attend Mass at the Mary, Seat of Wisdom Chapel, and enjoy a final meal in the Beyer Hall cafeteria, before returning to their heartening parental dwellings.

JESSICA SCOUTEN