Greek honor society to make alterations

While Gannon University’s Greek social organizations center on social aims rather than educational or professional aims, the Order of Omega – Gannon’s Greek honor society – focuses on celebrating Greek leaders who display overall excellence.

According to the national purpose statement, Order of Omega’s goal is to recognize both fraternity men and sorority women who have attained a high standard of leadership in interfraternity activities and to encourage them to continue to do so while inspiring others to strive for the same behavior.

In order to be eligible for Order of Omega, Greek life members must be a junior or senior undergraduate, maintain a grade point average above the “all-Greek average” and be in good standing with the member’s specific organization.

Order of Omega president and senior nursing major Emily Zeszutek defines the organization as a Greek honors society based on academic excellence and community service.

Although the Order of Omega is a national organization present at various universities across the country, Zeszutek said it has not really been something that has been well-promoted or known about on Gannon’s campus in the past, and that’s something she would like to see change.

In order to increase awareness and encourage participation, Zeszutek’s goals for the organization include altering the Greek awards banquet that takes place each spring.

“Sponsoring the Greek awards banquet this year with the Panhellenic Council and the Interfraternity Council gives us the opportunity to make the ceremony different than the past,” Zeszutek said. “Because we are inviting Gannon staff members and campus officials to attend, we hope to receive recognition for everything that Greeks contribute to Gannon and Erie in general.”

In addition to this change, members of the organization chose to plan a more formal event compared to the casual ceremony that has taken place in the past.

Josh Niedergall, a senior electrical engineering major, said he joined the Order of Omega for the prestige on his resume and also to get more involved with Greek life at Gannon.

“Personally, I think that the organization will help in making the Greek awards ceremony more relevant to Greeks as well as encourage attendance and raise participation more than in the past,” Niedergall said.

Other goals for the Greek awards ceremony include altering the individual awards that chapters will receive in order to be more customized and interesting for Greek members. The organization is also attempting to increase presence on campus through community service and fundraising.

Order of Omega initiates new members who meet requirements each fall and spring semester. Interested Greek members may contact Emily Zeszutek at [email protected] or Eric Pope at [email protected].

DIANE CASSARLY