Fair offers information, giveaways

Gannon’s annual Wellness Fair will be hosted from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Feb. 7 in the second floor of the Waldron Campus Center.

The Wellness Fair will give students and other members of the Gannon community a chance to learn about health updates, get expert advice from area fitness and recreation experts and see demonstrations.

Jay DiFrank, associate director of human resources, said this year’s event will be an upgrade from last year’s event because it is being held in the whole second floor, rather than in just the Yehl Ballroom, as it was in previous years.

The event will feature chances for students and other members of the Gannon community to receive information on nutrition, health, fitness and wellness. Vendors will come from places like Asbury Woods golf course, Peek’n Peak Resort & Spa and Best Buy.

Students will have various chances to get free items and win prizes such as gift cards, gas cards, gaming consoles, baseball caps, MP3 players and Gannon clothing.

DiFrank said Gannon departments – such as the sport and exercise science department – will be on hand to educate students about bone density, strength tests, pulmonary disease and other health concerns. Demonstrations will take place, including one on Tai Chi. In the past these demonstrations have been of other exercise styles, like yoga. Gannon now offers various yoga classes, which have become very popular with students, DiFrank said.

Free, healthy breakfast and lunch – including items like fresh fruit and wraps – will be provided, including samples of organic food.

Students should watch out for their Wellness Fair postcard in the mail, which they should bring to the LIFECORE table at the event to get their Wellness Fair passport.

“Students should come because there is something there for everyone,” DiFrank said. “And I guarantee you will walk away with something, due to all the giveaways.”

Students should visit www.gannon.edu/wellness to learn more about the fair.

TESSY PAWLOWSKI