Hall of Fame to honor inductees

The Gannon University athletic Hall of Fame is set to induct eight new members and honor two previous inductees during its January 21, 2012 ceremony.

The exclusive club of 46 will welcome football, wrestling, basketball and volleyball players including the entire 1961-62 men’s basketball team. Gary Miller and Pat Ferrara will receive the Distinguished Service Award for their donation of time and effort to the athletic department over the years.

A reception will take place in the Pietraszek and Stubler rooms at the Waldron Center at 5 p.m. followed by a dinner and program in the Yehl Alumni Room which will begin at 5:45 p.m. Tickets are $30 per person.

Art Arkelian – Football ’51: A two year letter winner, Arkelian was the Gannon University football team’s motor in the backfield for the 1949-50 teams. He was part of Gannon’s lone undefeated season in 1949 when it posted an 8-0 record.

John Oldach – Wrestling ’90: Winning 105 matches for the Gannon University wrestling team put Oldach in the record books for good. His record would stand 10 years after he earned his fourth letter his senior season.

Heather Petras Primrose – Women’s Volleyball ’96: Is one of only two volleyball players to have their jersey retired. Primrose finished her career as the Gannon’s all-time leader in assists with 3,426.

Todd Proper – Wrestling/Football ’01, ‘06M: Not only was Proper the wrestling program’s first ever three-time all-American, he was also a four year letter winner for the football team. He is Gannon’s all-time leader in winning percentage on the mat and is fourth in career sacks on the field.

Kristin Roseberry Kachmar – Women’s Basketball ’03: Despite the great teams and players in women’s basketball program history, Roseberry Kachmar is the only four-time all-American. She scored 2,147 points during her career.

Jacki Windon – Women’s Basketball ’01: Windon, Gannon’s all-time leader in three-point field goals also ranks second in assists. The four-year guard played in the 2000 and 2001 NCAA Tournament.

Mike Corbett – Softball, Director of Athletics ‘91M: After winning 323 games in 12 seasons as Gannon University’s softball coach, Corbett moved on to become the Director of Athletics after the 2000 season.

1961-62 men’s basketball team: Fifty years after becoming the first basketball team in school history to make the big dance, the 1961-62 men’s team seeks induction after pioneering the only 16-win season up to the year.

Distinguished Service Award recipients:

Gary Miller – Booster ’72

Pat Ferrara – Assistant football coach since ’91

ZACK MCDERMOTT