Emmaus Ministry seeks toy donations

Emmaus Ministries – in conjunction with the Center for Social Concerns – is seeking interested parties in the Gannon University community to sponsor Christmas presents for local children.

Emmaus Ministries is known for supporting local service endeavors such as the Kid’s Café, neighborhood Art House and the Emmaus Soup Kitchen.

Jessie Badach Hubert, the assistant director for the Center for Social Concerns, said 35 students have worked at the Kids’ Café this semester.

Interested Gannon students, faculty and staff are asked to donate $10 to $50 gifts of clothing and toys, books or learning games for children.

First they should contact Hubert, by email at [email protected] by Friday.

“We are coming off of Thanksgiving break now, but Christmas is coming up really soon, so hopefully I’ll hear from everyone by the end of this week,” Hubert said.

Gifts should be wrapped and delivered to the Center for Social Concerns by Dec. 14.

According to a press release from the Center for Social Concerns, the Gannon community sponsored 20 children for Emmaus Ministries last year. Many student groups supported the project last year – including sports teams and international students.

“We’re confident and we’re also really hopeful that they get the same kind of response this year,” she said.

Hubert believed participating in this type of project may be a way to recognize the pre-Christmas Advent session.

“One of the ways we can prepare the way for God is to be reaching out for folks that need attention and care this year,” she said.

She pointed out that care for others often reciprocates.

“When I open my heart to give to someone else, then my heart is open to receive the love from other people too,” she said. “It’s just a great opportunity to live out what Advent and Christmas are about.”

TESSY PAWLOWSKI