Knights shellac Nittany Lions

The Gannon University women’s basketball team opened up its season by opening up a can on Penn State University Greater Allegheny Monday night.

In front of 468 fans at Gannon’s Hammermill Center, the Knights painted the Lions, 113-31, as they began work on a fresh canvas that is the 2011-2012 season.

Coach Cleve Wright said the Knights had little trouble knocking off the rust.

“We started our season a few weeks ago in Canada, so it really didn’t feel like our first game,” Wright said. “It was nice to be on our home court and see some people in the stands.”

The Knights gave their fans a show, as they set the single-game record with 37 assists and fell just four points shy of the single-game scoring mark set both against Hillbert College.

Penn State Greater Allegheny, which is a member of the United States Collegiate Athletic Association, had an immense task in keeping up with the Knights, as it dressed only six players, five of whom were freshmen.

Gannon showed little mercy against the non-NCAA school, building an astounding 27-1 lead at the 12-minute mark of the first half, before taking a 59-12 advantage into the locker room. The Knights forced 44 turnovers and did not allow a 3-point shot.

Six Gannon players finished in double-figures, with freshman Brittany Batts leading the way with 21 points in her collegiate debut.

Wright said the game served as good experience for the Knights.

“It gives us another opportunity to be together as a team,” he said.

If Gannon abides by the adage that it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish, the Knights will have to keep up the torrid pace when they start play in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference. Gannon will travel to East Stroudsburg University for a conference crossover game at 1 p.m. Saturday.

PSAC coaches picked the Knights to place fourth in the Western Division after the Knights finished with a lackluster 13-13 overall record and a 5-9 conference mark last season. Gannon failed to make the PSAC tournament for the first time in 2011-12.

The Knights feature seven freshmen on the roster, and started guard Doriyon Glass and forward Nettie Glass Monday.

“It’s exciting to have young players who bring energy and enthusiasm around,” Wright said. “The more they’re on the floor, the more experience they’ll have in our system.”

Senior guard Caitlyn Lowe is Gannon’s leading scorer with 11.2 points per game, while sophomore Jen Papich leads the Knights’ charge on the boards, as she averaged 5.8 rebounds per game a season ago.

Senior forward Kelsey McCoy said it’s up to the older Knights to get the freshmen integrated.

“Almost half the team is freshman, so it’s not a matter of trying to get them involved; we have to get them involved because it’s a big part of the team.”

On Saturday, East Stroudsburg University will open up its season in hopes of shaking off a dismal 2010-2011 campaign that saw the Warriors compile finish at the bottom of the PSAC with records of 5-21 and 2-12. The Warriors are, however, returning all five starters.

The opposite is true for the Knights, however, who sport a fresh look this season

“We’re really excited about this year because this is a very different team,” McCoy said.

JOE CUNEO