Schuster prepares for second play

The Greek play, “Lysistrata,” will take place at Gannon University’s Schuster Theatre Dec. 1-10 at no cost.

“Lysistrata” is a play that dates back more than 2,000 years ago. Lysistrata, a ring master, plans a meeting with all the women of Greece to discuss a way to end the Peloponnesian War, in which their husbands served.

Lysistrata’s plan is to have all the women refuse marital relations with their husbands, until a treaty is signed to bring peace.

Paula Barrett, director of “Lysistrata,” said the play is entertaining and hilarious, but at the same time it has a serious side to it.

“This play relates to the world today because we’re still at war with Iraq,” she said.

“And people are organizing different ways to promote peace within the society.”

Before the play starts, audiences will be able to watch a “circus-like” performance with numerous acts as tumblers and a stilt walker perform, Barrett said.

Brittnie Knight, a junior theatre and communication arts major and pre-law minor, who plays Lysistrata, said the play underlines a specific message.

“People should think about who they are fighting before they begin to fight,” she said.

“The play is very funny and lets the audience become more politically aware.”

The actors of “Lysistrata” are dedicating the play to Leymah Gbowee, Barrett said. Gbowee won the 2011 Nobel Peace Prize for organizing a sexual intercourse strike among women until the civil war ended, Barrett said.

Barrett is currently reading Gbowee’s book, “Mighty Be Our Powers: How Sisterhood, Prayer and Sex Changed a Nation at War.”

Khadija Djellouli, a freshman journalism communications major, said “Lysistrata” is her first play appearance and she hopes to find the audiences’ reactions are humorous.

“I love acting and I’ve been enjoying myself performing,” she said.

Djellouli plays the character of a Boitian girl named Ismenia.

Erika Krenn, a freshman theatre and communication arts major said she hopes the audience comprehends the message that the actors are trying to convey.

“I hope our audiences will understand all of our jokes and what we are putting out on the table,” she said.

Corcoran said the funniest part of the play involves the Chorus of Old Men and Women.

“They are very different and funny,” she said.

“Also, they break up a lot of the play.”

Barrett said before or after “Lysistrata,” there will be pamphlets and cards handed out to the audience for ways that they can help put a stop to war and spread peace.

COURTNEY HERZING