OcSOBERfest scares up fun

The annual OcSOBERfest Halloween event will be held from 8-11 p.m. Friday at the Carneval Athletic Pavilion. KnightLIFE is putting on the event, which president Patrick Chounet, a senior mathematics major, promises will be a fun way to unwind from a busy week back.

Chounet said the event is a smaller version of the annual spring Get Rec’d party.

OcSOBERfest was held in the CAP center for the first time last year to cut costs, so more money could be spent on activities, Chounet said.

The event will feature several activities, such as a mummy-wrapping and costume contest. Chounet said teams of two will participate in the mummy-wrapping contest, and winners will be picked based on speed and thoroughness of toilet paper coverage.

First, second and third places will be awarded for top three costumes, Chounet said. He said one past notable costume was a Tetris block.

Julia Srnka, the assistant director of student development programs, said other activities include pumpkin cookie decorating, pumpkin bingo, karaoke and corn hole.

Srnka said the Halloween-themed event will offer free food – including hot dogs, chili dogs, candy, cider and other snacks.

Prizes at the event include various gift cards, T-shirts and Halloween items. The two biggest prizes are a $50 gift card from Walmart and an iPod shuffle.

OcSOBERfest is held as part of National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week.

TESSY PAWLOWSKI