Knights in hunt for postseason

After getting shut out by California University of Pennsylvania last week, the Gannon University women’s soccer team returned to the win column Saturday with a win over Shippensburg University, edging the Red Raiders 3-2.

Senior forward Amanda Sharbaugh added to her record-breaking season by recording her fifth career hat trick.

The first half of the game didn’t go according to plan for the Knights, as they conceded the first goal to the Raiders during the third minute.

Gannon answered that goal as junior midfielder Sarah Deck passed behind the defense to Sharbaugh. The Knoch, Pa., native took the pass, beat the goalkeeper and scored into an empty net during the 21st minute.

The two teams remained tied until the 41st minute, when Shippensburg’s Meghan Mahon scored off a rebound after the ball hit the post.

The Raiders took a 2-1 lead going into halftime. The lead didn’t last long as Sharbaugh erupted in the second half to complete the hat trick.

Her second goal came during the 56th minute, and she added the other five minutes later.

“I think we played a good possession game and had some great penetrating runs that led to our goals,” Sharbaugh said.

Gannon will hit the road Wednesday to face Bloomsburg University at 4:30 p.m. The Huskies currently sit in sixth place in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference standings. Gannon sits one point behind them.

Sharbaugh said that the Knights need to play with a sense of urgency against Bloomsburg.

“We have a chance to extend our season so we need to remind PSAC teams that we are still in the running and are fighting for a spot,” she said.

JACOB TARR