Students vote on new Knight mascot

Where would the Gannon Knights be without, well, their knight? Drake, the old, familiar mascot has retired and now Gannon needs to name a new knight.

In order to ordain the newest knight, students are encouraged to participate in the “Name the Gannon Mascot” contest. Because the mascot represents the entire student body, the contest both enables and promotes students to vote for a name.

The clever, and quite suitable, name choices include: Storm E. Knight, Mack the Knight, Sir Golden (Goldy) Knight, Sir Victor E. Knight and Luckey Knight.

A committee focused on school spirit and traditions brainstormed the five names selected for voting, Heather Turner, Gannon’s cheerleading coach, said.

“Four of the names were just a play on words, but the name Luckey came from one of the members suggesting that we honor Joe Luckey,” Turner said.

Turner noted that Luckey had a great impact on Gannon throughout his many years of service and dedication to the university, even establishing two scholarships that bear his name.

“We thought it would be nice to honor him in this way,” Turner said.

Students can submit their vote by sending an email to “[email protected]” or by joining the Facebook group, “The Golden Knight,” and submitting a vote there. Voting began on Sept. 23, and it will end on Oct. 28.

“I think it’s awesome that we are giving the entire Gannon community the opportunity to name the mascot,” Landis Erwin, senior journalism communications major, said. “It’s something we can say we had a part of and remember it when we see our golden knight at different events.”

Erwin personally likes the name Victor E. Knight. “It’s a strong name, and I think it will fit the mascot well,” she said.

Another student, Jacob Cawley, sophomore secondary education and social studies major, said his favorite choice is Storm E. Knight because it is the most intimidating.

“I think the new mascot could add a new spice to Gannon sports that Drake was lacking,” he said.

Also rooting for Storm E. Knight, Dominica Pasci, sophomore nursing major, said, “It’s catchy and witty. It makes me laugh in a good way that would make others laugh. It’s one of those types of catchy names that anyone could understand.”

Showing some support for Victor E. Knight, Patrick Byham, junior computer science major, said, “It’s the one with the best double meaning.”

Clearly, students are enthusiastic about naming the new knight. There are a variety of attitudes toward the five name options, and many students are interested to see which one is ultimately chosen.

Overall, Turner said, “This [contest] is a great way to get the student body, faculty, staff and alumni involved in identifying their school and how they want to be represented.”

The big reveal will take place at the student celebration on Nov. 3 during Dr. Taylor’s Inaugural events. Until then, keep voting!

DIANE CASSARLY