Improv troop brings laughs to Gannon

Face Off, a competitive, audience interactive, improv comedy show is returning to Gannon University.

The Activities Programming Board is bringing back the New York-based comedy troop at 8 p.m. Saturday, in Club LaRiccia, the basement of the cafeteria. The performance is free.

The actors, who began Friday Night Face Off in 2002 in New York City, will be bringing their touring show “A Whole ‘Nother Level” to Gannon.

The show was performed at the 2011 Chicago Improv Festival, which ran from April 25 to May 1, and featured several improv troops.

Theresa Lohn, the after-hours chair of APB, and a senior physician assistant major, said she is excited about the return of Face Off, who she compares to “Whose Line Is It Anyway?”

She said last year, Face Off brought five members of its crew during Springtopia, and part of their performance included a tribute to “Kung Fu Panda,” at the request of the audience.

She said the troop had a member of the audience come on stage and play the daughter of Po – the main character in “Panda.”

She said last year 50 people attended the performance, which included a meet and greet with the players at the beginning, and other staple improv show elements, like made-up songs.

APB found Face Off through the National Association for Campus Activities, which introduces entertainers to activities boards on campuses countrywide.

In addition to the performance, APB will be passing out surveys. Those who fill out the survey will be entered in a drawing to win one of three gift cards: a $25 Olive Garden gift card, a $50 Visa gift card and a $25 Chipotle gift card.

Lohn promises that Face Off is a worthwhile event to attend.

“Bring as many people as you can,” she said.

“It’s a lot of fun.”

TESSY PAWLOWSKI