Football falls to rival Edinboro

Two steps forward, one step back.

Whatever momentum the Gannon University football team found in its shutout win over Millersville, the Knights quickly gave back in their 27-0 loss to Edinboro University Saturday.

In front of 2,100 fans at Gannon University Field, the 19th-ranked Fighting Scots promptly took control of the game upon the opening kickoff.

Gannon coach Jim Kiernan said the Knights’ inexperience once again sabotaged any chances Gannon may have had.

“It’s not an effort thing,” he said. “When you’ve got all these young guys, and you’re trying to play as 11, the little things add up and lead to big things.”

On the opening drive, the Fighting Scots flexed their muscles by producing a 12-play, 69-yard drive that resulted in quarterback Cody Harris’ touchdown pass to David Bostic. The drive, which lasted nearly 7 1/2 minutes, set the tone for the Edinboro offense, which proceeded to methodically run away from Gannon as the game progressed.

The Scots’ defense stymied Gannon’s offense, forcing four turnovers while giving up only 182 total offensive yards.

Kiernan said that the team remains a work in progress.

“There are some things we got much better at this week,” he said. “On offense, we did some good things by putting ourselves in some third-and-short situations.

“But there are things we still need to improve on.”

Redshirt freshman quarterback Daniel Tapscott mustered only 85 yards on 11-of-25 passing with a pair of interceptions.

Gannon dropped to 1-3 overall and 0-1 in Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference play.

On the heels of the crushing loss, Gannon must rebound when it faces crosstown rival Mercyhurst College Saturday.

The Knights will travel to Louis J. Tullio Field at 1 p.m. Saturday, where they will attempt to stop the Lakers’ potent offense.

The Lakers, who own a 3-1 record, will attempt to overpower Gannon by using quarterback Travis Rearick and wide receiver Trevor Kennedy.

“Take all the records and throw them out the window,” Kiernan said. “While we have great respect for them, everyone likes to say they have the Niagara Cup.”

Gannon has partnered with the Erie Metropolitan Transit Authority to give interested students a free ride to Mercyhurst. Free bus rides will be available for students at 11:30 a.m. at the arch on West Seventh Street between Peach and Sassafras streets.

JOE CUNEO