Erie-GAINS needs posters

The Erie-GAINS program is giving Gannon University students the opportunity to submit posters to be displayed at a community-wide forum focusing on engaging in partnerships through service.

Urban interaction, economic development, sustainability, partnerships, service, service-learning and experiential education are among the possible topics of focus for the posters.

“Hopefully, this will garner support for Erie-GAINS and Gannon’s efforts to build relationships with other local groups to make Erie a better place to live,” Aaron Andzel, a graduate business administration student and project manager intern at Erie-GAINS said. “The forum intends to show the local community what Gannon’s student population does to assist the community’s improvement efforts.

“Erie-GAINS hopes to make the surrounding area of Gannon a more vibrant community. Not only will this be beneficial to the students of Gannon, but the surrounding Erie community as well.”

The Gannon community, with its vast recourses and expertise has a multitude of services to provide to the surrounding area through university organizations and service projects, Andzel said. The forum is expected to showcase these efforts to the community in order to gain support and recognition.

The poster forum is also a segue into the Presidential Inauguration weekend, which will highlight building partnerships to improve the community and focus specifically on engaging in partnerships through service.

Students will have an opportunity to create their posters at no expense from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Thursday in the Palumbo Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, where all necessary supplies will be provided. The posters will then be displayed from Thursday, Nov. 3, to Saturday, Nov. 5 for forum participants in the Yehl Ballroom.

Many individuals engaged in both the Gannon and Erie communities will be in attendance including faculty, students, elected officials, community leaders and economic development agencies.

The posters will be viewed in the five categories of Business and Economy, Education, Environmental Sustainability, Health and Wellness and Quality of Life.

Once the designs have been finalized and submitted by the Oct. 12 deadline, they will be printed by Gannon University Press.

At the workshop to be held Thursday those interested in creating a poster can learn how to effectively execute the Gannon Template, adding content using Inkscape, and properly adhering to correct formatting for the Press.

Those interested in designing a poster but unable to attend the workshop can view Gannon’s standard for the template on ANGEL.

Andzel said the posters should be a mix of pictures and text.

He further encouraged participants to “just be creative.”

The posters can be sent to [email protected] or to [email protected].

JESSICA SCOUTEN